Could I use marbles instead maybe?
Yep they actually do suggest that but I had rocks 😊💕

The snow has been melting like crazy, though there is no puddles. The land has been absorbing it all.

I would split them up into groups of ten if I could, but I don't have lots of heating pads. The Cornishes are leaving on Saturday, when the 7-week-olds are leaving for the meat chicken coop and the 4 week olds are leaving for the brooder that the 7 week olds left. Then the Cornish can move into the brooder that the 4 weeks left and the red broiler can move into the high capacity brooder. Chicken math. 🤦‍♀️ I hope this makes sense to you.

But I am seriously worried if they do have coccidiosis. I will be putting them on medicated feed as soon as they're out of the non medicated stuff in their feeders.
I wouldn’t even wait - I would swap out the feed right away - you can always stock pile the current feed for later for them.

The snow has been melting like crazy, though there is no puddles. The land has been absorbing it all.

I would split them up into groups of ten if I could, but I don't have lots of heating pads. The Cornishes are leaving on Saturday, when the 7-week-olds are leaving for the meat chicken coop and the 4 week olds are leaving for the brooder that the 7 week olds left. Then the Cornish can move into the brooder that the 4 weeks left and the red broiler can move into the high capacity brooder. Chicken math. 🤦‍♀️ I hope this makes sense to you.

But I am seriously worried if they do have coccidiosis. I will be putting them on medicated feed as soon as they're out of the non medicated stuff in their feeders.
it’s so soggy here the water is just running off into the creeks. More rain for the weekend.

Yes I see what your planning, I would try to move them sooner rather than later if at all possible. Yes chicken math happens. Once you have them under control it should be much better.

Yep they actually do suggest that but I had rocks 😊💕

I wouldn’t even wait - I would swap out the feed right away - you can always stock pile the current feed for later for them.

it’s so soggy here the water is just running off into the creeks. More rain for the weekend.

Yes I see what your planning, I would try to move them sooner rather than later if at all possible. Yes chicken math happens. Once you have them under control it should be much better.
I only have to wait one day. I believe I have a pile of gravel here somewhere, maybe that would work. I am going to swap out the feed right away, as you suggested.

I’m not very happy with Dakota this evening. Everyone has gone to the coop, but Dakota has been out late. She was actually found in a part of the yard that was made inaccessible to the chooks. Maybe she is flying over there 🤔? Maybe the gate was left open for a bit?
Someone is messing with me?
I don’t know, but it has to stop. I can’t be panicking over this every time. :barnie:idunno

Yep I got Hoovers both last year and a couple weeks ago.

Were your chicks day olds? If so they ship over night freight, did you get in Edmonton? They would be shipped to EDM airport and then Canada Post delivers to the store. They have a certain amt of chicks in each crate they ship them in to keep warm. I know you have had snow out there this week (and lots of it), so yes Peavey should take that into acct.

Have they setteled down any? I would say it’s the stores issue to ensure the product is kept safe and secure. If they didn’t then I would complain to their Customer Service about the issue.

I have 3 Midnights on order for 28th May, I don’t expect any issues.
:pop :wee

I need advice
I was hoping to break down the broody jail this afternoon while everyone was out pruning the artemisia, but I have left it in place because I think Sylvie has gone, or maybe is going, broody.
She went into the nest box at 10 this morning and did not come out all day. I kept waiting on her so I could collect eggs. Eventually this afternoon I booted her out and found 21 eggs and one broken one of Tassels.
It took me a while to work out how there could be so many eggs. But then I remembered that the lady who cared for the chickens couldn't get to any eggs on Tuesday because there were two chickens in the nest box when she came, and then she didn't come yesterday.
Anyway, lots of eggs underneath Sylvie.
Sylvie is not as obviously broody as Tassels was. So far no puffing up, (well not more than it takes to completely cover nearly 2 dozen eggs!) and no characteristic bok-bok-bok. But she is not roosting tonight and when I booted her off the nest to gather the eggs, she went straight back in.
So here is where I need advice:
- Is it better to put her in the broody jail now when she has been at it for only 24 hours or so? I am wondering if it will be easier to break her broodiness if I try early on in the process or leave her to sit for a while.
- What should I do about the egg yolk sticking to her undercarriage? Will she preen it off in time (particularly once she snaps out of being broody)? Or do I need to bathe her? Egg is tough to wash off at the best of times so I am not looking forward to trying to wash it off!
Any advice most welcome.
In case it helps on my first question, she laid an egg this morning - I am pretty sure it was part of the clutch she gathered.
I have just successfully made it to the other side of this exact situation, with Fez. I waited until she stopped laying eggs and I heard buk buking before sticking her in the crate. I call the phase that Sylvie is at now “broody lite”.
Anyways, it took two nights in the crate and now Fez is broken of it.
I wouldn’t worry about the egg yolk- it will probably preen off more easily after a dust bath anyways.

I only have to wait one day. I believe I have a pile of gravel here somewhere, maybe that would work. I am going to swap out the feed right away, as you suggested.
Just wash out the larger bits of gravel so you have just the rock (that’s what did). Worked great the do tend to eventually walk over the rocks it’s fun I guess and poop on them. Which lead to the current waterer on the brick paver I use now. They still can somehow poop in it but they don’t get wet.

FF05B2CD-6452-4FCE-AABD-2ABD2F4FE195.png

I’m not very happy with Dakota this evening. Everyone has gone to the coop, but Dakota has been out late. She was actually found in a part of the yard that was made inaccessible to the chooks. Maybe she is flying over there 🤔? Maybe the gate was left open for a bit?
Someone is messing with me?
I don’t know, but it has to stop. I can’t be panicking over this every time. :barnie:idunno
Yup I have a few like her always going where they shouldn’t!

Back
Top Bottom