Mystic Dan wins by a nose over Sierra Leone who beats out Forever Young by a whisker!

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ts-sierra-leone-in-epic-photo-finish.amp.html
That was a great race with thrilling finish. Agonizing while waiting for the photo results. A couple angels it looked like my horse #2 had it. Oh well that is racing. I think Sierra Leone has big things in his future. He is still learning, hopefully he gets out of that habit of lugging in. He and Forever Young were both bumping each other. In truth I was waiting for the stewards inquiry to go up. I guess they chose not to do anything because Forever Young also made contact with Sierra Leone down the stretch. Credit has to go to the jockey, he pulled a Calvin Borel move ducking into the rail and skimming past it to get to the lead. I am happy for the winning connections. I like Kenny McPeek.

I have been doing some reading today and always look forward to the Preakness. I love the triple crown trail and the rivalries that develop. Normally as you know you can at least guarantee the Derby winner shows up with 1 or 2 of the other derby runners. I am disappointed. Mystik Dan is questionable as of right now, final decision to be made May 8. The rest are skipping it. Sierra Leone will run in the Belmont, Forever Young and the other japanese horse T O Password head back to Japan this week. I feel Forever Young should at least stay and target the Belmont. It is to be run at Saratoga this year at a shortened distance of 1 1/4 miles like the derby. Same could be said for T O Password, but again, that is racing. If Mystik Dan skips the Preakness there will not be a single derby starter in the field. McPeeks comments claim he is tired this morning which is why he is not committing yet. I am all for putting the horse first, but I also have a nagging suspicion. Baffert was banned from the derby again this year. If McPeek skips the Preakness I feel, and I think many race fans will too that McPeek is dodging Muth. I have lost a lot of respect for Bob Baffert in the last couple years but he is a dang good trainer. Muth has already trounced Mystik Dan 6 1/4 lengths in the Arkansas Derby. In a way I think if Muth had been eligible to run we would have had a very different outcome this morning.

Ok enough rambling we will have to see what happens. I will say, Belmont time, Sierra Leone is my boy again. I would also like to see him in the Travers later in the summer and of course the Breeders Cup Classic.

Shep has a wobbly puffy butt? Is this water belly? It's very soft and jiggly. 20240505_163954.jpg
20240505_163940.jpg
20240505_163945.jpg
The girls got some pineapple today since they ate all the layer feed I put out (in a fancy bowl to entice them to eat it!)

Back
Top Bottom