Joyfillednomads

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
United States of America
Chicken palace no. I just need automatic coop door, automatic waterer (maybe with a float), diy automatic feeder...
Maybe a camera to make sure everything is OK.
I had to have surgery a few months ago and doing chores meant me nagging older kids to help out, just to free up time and to make the help I need go further I'd like to know what I need.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200731_102313.jpg
    20200731_102313.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200731_102302.jpg
    20200731_102302.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200731_102401.jpg
    20200731_102401.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 8
I like to be able to get eggs without having to step into the coop/run and get poop on my shoes. That keeps me checking eggs more often and allows even the son who wants little to do with chickens and the fastidious SIL to help with the eggs.

I like to have the feed and water in a place where I can reach them from outside as well for the same reason -- I can do some quick chicken-tending without having to change into coop clothing.

Having enough space that you don't need to clean constantly is critical, as is choosing a manure management system that doesn't require constant attention.

I like to be able to get eggs without having to step into the coop/run and get poop on my shoes. That keeps me checking eggs more often and allows even the son who wants little to do with chickens and the fastidious SIL to help with the eggs.

I like to have the feed and water in a place where I can reach them from outside as well for the same reason -- I can do some quick chicken-tending without having to change into coop clothing.

Having enough space that you don't need to clean constantly is critical, as is choosing a manure management system that doesn't require constant attention.
Seriously getting a little dusty or dirty or stepping in something can ruin the day.

Seriously getting a little dusty or dirty or stepping in something can ruin the day.

I don't like to have to get dressed twice. If I can reach things from outside I can put a scrub jacket over my work clothes and do quick morning rounds.

I work in food service so I need to be careful of my clothes just as much as if I worked in a bank even though my uniform is jeans and a company t-shirt. No bringing chicken poop into the deli! :)

I don't like to have to get dressed twice. If I can reach things from outside I can put a scrub jacket over my work clothes and do quick morning rounds.

I work in food service so I need to be careful of my clothes just as much as if I worked in a bank even though my uniform is jeans and a company t-shirt. No bringing chicken poop into the deli! :)
And there is always a bit of a ""smell" to which ever uck gets on you... lol

a manure management system that doesn't require constant attention.

Poop boards that need daily cleaning might not be a good choice for this :)

But some kind of bedding that's deep on the floor, so the chickens can scratch around and keep it mixed up and it only gets cleaned on rare occasions, could work well.

Back
Top Bottom