Hatching chicks and growing up with dad/rooster. Do they mate?

noelgeorgia

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
We have one rooster and five hens. Considering hatching some chicks and raising them with the flock under the protection of the mama. I am curious what happens when those chicks get to the age when the rooster gets interested though. Since they'll be his offspring, will he still try to mate with them? I know this is a dumb question, but it seems weird to me that this could/will happen lol.

We have one rooster and five hens. Considering hatching some chicks and raising them with the flock under the protection of the mama. I am curious what happens when those chicks get to the age when the rooster gets interested though. Since they'll be his offspring, will he still try to mate with them? I know this is a dumb question, but it seems weird to me that this could/will happen lol.
It’s not at all dumb! Yes he can mate with them, happens all the time and typically there’s no issue.

Wow, that's crazy. I guess animals don't care really but it does seem strange lol
People breed them like this on purpose all the time. This isn’t specifically about chickens, but it explains line breeding quite well

https://www.producer.com/livestock/line-breeding-idea-explained/

Also, here’s a graphic that is pretty good on the subject

IMG_6023.jpeg

Wow, that's crazy. I guess animals don't care really but it does seem strange lol
With most animals, inbreeding isn't as big an issue as it is with humans, and birds are even more resistant than most mammals are. They see it as literally nothing more than just continuing their genetics as far as they can

Back
Top Bottom