Hello, new egg here!!

Ah, both chickens and rabbits are wonderful! What breed did you keep?
Wishing you luck with the runt and welcome to the forum
Many years ago when we started with rabbit we had satins, I think they were called chocolate satins. But we got smarter and went with New Zealand white as we wanted to sell meat rabbits. It was a big help to our meager bank account in the early days of marriage.
The chickens back then were an epic fail. Someone (who I will not mention) forgot to put the chicken cage in the garage for the night and the raccoons....ugh. Let's just say that was one morning it was not pleasant to be the grown up in the house.

My chicks now are 6 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Red Production. The runt is still hanging in there and she loves the egg/fish mixture and the Nutri-Drench.

My two rabbits are rescues, breed unknown kept solely for amusement and their manure. When I finish building the rabbit enclosure I will buy meat rabbits - hope to use them to supplement the dogs' food.

Many years ago when we started with rabbit we had satins, I think they were called chocolate satins. But we got smarter and went with New Zealand white as we wanted to sell meat rabbits. It was a big help to our meager bank account in the early days of marriage.
The chickens back then were an epic fail. Someone (who I will not mention) forgot to put the chicken cage in the garage for the night and the raccoons....ugh. Let's just say that was one morning it was not pleasant to be the grown up in the house.

My chicks now are 6 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Red Production. The runt is still hanging in there and she loves the egg/fish mixture and the Nutri-Drench.

My two rabbits are rescues, breed unknown kept solely for amusement and their manure. When I finish building the rabbit enclosure I will buy meat rabbits - hope to use them to supplement the dogs' food.
Ah, I love chocolate satins and New Zealands. Well I'll be honest, it doesn't take much to convince me to love a rabbit. I'm sorry to hear about the chickens though, could not have been a good day :(
Happy to hear the runt is hanging in there! I'll be crossing my fingers, but I feel like she is in good hands.

Ah, I love chocolate satins and New Zealands. Well I'll be honest, it doesn't take much to convince me to love a rabbit. I'm sorry to hear about the chickens though, could not have been a good day :(
Happy to hear the runt is hanging in there! I'll be crossing my fingers, but I feel like she is in good hands.

Thanks for keeping fingers crossed. I am secretly hoping the runt turns our to be a rooster!

Today was a loooong day. I had to make a new setup for the 10 chicks as they were outgrowing the old one...well, except for Dottie who still refuses to grow. I learned from someone that I can put a kiddy pool inside a dog exercise pen and attach lights, roosting bars, etc. I had to buy sand (dang that stuff is heavy!) to make it easier to clean. I just barely finished so it's not quite perfect yet. Tomorrow I will make a few adjustments and will add craft paper around the perimeter as a few of the chicks can fit through the dog pen wire. (Oops!) Chicks Mar 15 2018 wading pool -1 cropped IMG_20180315_205600158.jpg

The runt I call Dottie made it through the night and is doing quite well being with the other 9 in the new brooder. She is readily eating the fish/egg mixture - laps it up! Taking it one day at a time and hoping for the best.

By the way, I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum. Is there a help or how-to page? When I try to search I end up with something like 35 thousand results...that's not working for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The runt I call Dottie made it through the night and is doing quite well being with the other 9 in the new brooder. She is readily eating the fish/egg mixture - laps it up! Taking it one day at a time and hoping for the best.

By the way, I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum. Is there a help or how-to page? When I try to search I end up with something like 35 thousand results...that's not working for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
In the top right corner, next to alerts, there is your inbox. Should have gotten a message that has a tutorial on navigating the site. Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom