Help! 3rd day with chickens ever and dog bite. 100% novice

Do you feed chicken feed as well? You had posted that you had a bowl of meal worms and a bowl of oats? You have been given a lot of good advice, but I would get a bag of chicken feed for her age. If your hens lay eggs, they can eat layer feed or flock raiser feed plus some crushed oyster shell in a separate dish. Scratch grains are not a complete feed either, but should only be given in small amounts if at all. I hope she starts feeling stronger soon.

It can sometimes be a challenge to get medication into them.
If you have any smaller syringes - 30cc is quite large - you could direct syringe your medication into her - I like to use 1cc syringes for this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

The wound looks a bit angry - when you press on it, can you get any pus out?

Chicken pus is semi-hard. Post#1 has a good video of what pus looks like
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-pus-removal.1286920/#post-20832044
yesterday the wound was really rancid smelling and clearly infected (the pictues you saw) but today its looking a lot better the colors arent as infected looking and i can put my nose right up to the wound and it doesnt smell!.
shes drinking the medication mixed with water it just takes me about 30 min to get it all into her which is fine becauase shes taking it!
I made a mistake its not 30 cc! i thought it was but i read it and it says 30 "units" its an insulin needle and 30 "units" are about 4 drops of liquid at a time.

Do you feed chicken feed as well? You had posted that you had a bowl of meal worms and a bowl of oats? You have been given a lot of good advice, but I would get a bag of chicken feed for her age. If your hens lay eggs, they can eat layer feed or flock raiser feed plus some crushed oyster shell in a separate dish. Scratch grains are not a complete feed either, but should only be given in small amounts if at all. I hope she starts feeling stronger soon.
yes! they get poultry feed crumble. the brand is bar Ale. I think its a good brand but i dont know any better....As of right now no oyster shells though... I dont give them the oats often just when i want to get them close to pick them up during the day and they only get live gut loaded meal worms as snacks. i maintain a meal worm farm for the fertilizer for my plants(side note super easy!).
My hurt chicken has access to all the food she wants in hopes she will keep on eating/drinking on her own

Last edited:
Ok so at 2 lbs 7 oz she needs to be taking 109.72mg of amoxicillin twice a day. In what form is your medication? Are they are pills and you don't have an appropriate scales it may be simpler to just split pills in half/quarter etc depending on how much you need then crush them to put them on the egg. Did you say the pills contain 125mg of amox? If so, you are taking off 15 mg from each pill . Once you have given her 7 doses you will have enough 'scrapings' for another dose

It's not looking too bad but the infection needs to be sorted as soon as possible so get the amoxicillin into her. It sounds like you have cleaned it very well so now just to keep it clean and keep ointment on it to stop the skin from drying out.
they are 1000mg pills so i just cut them into 1/4 and then that in half for her morning and night time dose. sadly she wont eat egg so i basically bottle feed her with a tiny syringe. the wound is much better today and in fact putting my nose a couple inches away i cant even smell it like before. so i have a little bit of hope for her! bad new though since im getting in closer to clean the wound better Her wing is absolutely broken. so its time to research that.

okay! morning 1/9 update. wound looks roughly the same/ Maybe slightly better. But the smell is completely gone. i dont know if its from the ointment covering the smell up but before If my nose was within 2 feet of her I would smell that putrid rotting smell now i can put my nose inches from the cut and I cant smell anything. Here is an updated picture of the wound as well. on a side note its broken. i was getting in close to clean the wound and I felt a bone shift. she didnt seem to notice or care. is it normal for chickens to seem like they dont feel any pain?

Shes been taking the ammox from a syringe i got. Ive been mixing it with water until it dissolves in about 1/2 ounce of liquid. Also, ive been dosing her slightly above what she needs (she needs like 110mg a day and im giving her roughly 125 because everytime a few drops of the liquid will get dropped or she will shaker her head and it will miss her mouth.

The black part on top of the wound is in fact a scab not feathers.
20190109_094532.jpg

It can sometimes be a challenge to get medication into them.
If you have any smaller syringes - 30cc is quite large - you could direct syringe your medication into her - I like to use 1cc syringes for this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

The wound looks a bit angry - when you press on it, can you get any pus out?

Chicken pus is semi-hard. Post#1 has a good video of what pus looks like
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-pus-removal.1286920/#post-20832044
The wound is uniform with the rest of the wing (it doesnt bulge up or anything so im not sure there is a lot of puss. I just found out the wing is broken so im afraid to do more damage with squeezing and prodding it.)

I can't tell from your pictures where the fracture is. Below is a link to a very good manual for examining and splinting various fractures, which may help you. It's based on songbirds but the anatomy is the same. With an open wound and fracture the antibiotics are definitely needed. Page 10 shows the bones/skeleton and wing fracture splinting starts on page 11, lots of good info in here.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I can't tell from your pictures where the fracture is. Below is a link to a very good manual for examining and splinting various fractures, which may help you. It's based on songbirds but the anatomy is the same. With an open wound and fracture the antibiotics are definitely needed. Page 10 shows the bones/skeleton and wing fracture splinting starts on page 11, lots of good info in here.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
thank you that is an awesome read. Ill have to look it over when im eating dinner. sadly I have a cat who really wants my hens so her wing has been put off until i can cat proof the roost

Back
Top Bottom