Help me choose a name for my new lab puppy! Update see first post!

Vote if you like the name Kylo or not

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

Attachments

• 909C8D86-2B90-4F3A-8959-8160A176CC88.jpeg
    909C8D86-2B90-4F3A-8959-8160A176CC88.jpeg
    829.2 KB · Views: 5
Kylo is doing great! Well, to him he's "doin just fine". Idk how I'm gonna get through puppy stage. He is teething like CRAZY! At least he isn't having many accidents in the house. @Silkie Princess you have a puppy right now. Who else??? I need tips!

Also, since I still live at home, my parents are around. (duh). They gave me permission and everything to buy my own puppy, but now my mom is regretting it and she wants be to sell him 😢 She made me list him!! Should I secretly take it down? Should I keep him? Or should I sell him???
I’m not sure how old you are but you do need to respect your parents and taking down the listing behind their back is not okay. Other than “my mom doesn’t like dogs,” does she have a reason she regrets letting you get the dog?

As far as tips for taking care of the puppy, there are some great YouTube videos about puppy training look up Zak George. One recommendation is to keep them on a leash in the beginning as they get acquainted with their new surroundings and what they can/can’t fix use positive reinforcement (so have a treat pouch). I know one poster mentioned a kennel/crate. I highly recommend crate training. It becomes a safe place for the pup and gives piece of mind when needed. Pups are a lot of work and the vet bills add up as well (it’s not as simple as just buying the dog).

Oh no Clucky I'm so sorry I would take the advert down. Why doesn't she want the puppy?
Yea I don't get why she would make you sell a puppy and then get another one. Doesn't make sense. It sounds terribly unfair. If you didn’t do anything wrong then..

Puppies are not things you buy and then give away once you don't want them anymore. It’s not really fair to the dog either. The parents made the decision then they should stick with it. Sorry you have to go through this

This sounds all very strange to me:

You already have a young dog (Talie) in your family. She was raised from puppyhood just fine.

And some weeks ago you started to look for a rescue for yourself. You tried several dogs and very abruptly said dogs were canceld within very short time.

Only days after bringing back the latest rescue dog to the shelter, you get the cutest puppy ever and after just one day/night he is on the "discarding list"?

I am sorry, but this all seems very wrong to me.

Get yourself a big enough dog transport box/dog kennel for the times you cannot be around.

Put him in there with his toys and blanket to make him comfortable. you can feed him in the kennel so he will associate the kennel with something good for him (a puppy his age needs 4 meals daily).

You can also get him used to sleep in the kennel at night and he will accept his kennel as a nice place for a nap or just relaxing.
Our neighbors got dogs and after about 3 months of keeping their saint bernard. He got pur outside. I started taking care of him. Then i convinced them to get rid of them. Please don't leave him outside.

2x

If your mom hates dogs, why do you already have a dog? Maybe it would be more useful to spend time training/enjoying your current dog versus using all your energy fighting your parents to get a puppy.
Talie is her sister's dog and she said she'll be leaving soon. I bet having Talie and all those other rescues made her mom not like dogs even more.

Talie is her sister's dog and she said she'll be leaving soon. I bet having Talie and all those other rescues made her mom not like dogs even more.
Thanks for the clarification!

Let me put this straight.

My mom grew up with NO pets. So she isn't used to dogs at all. When we got Talie, she was ready for the adventure....but sadly, Talie turned out to be a very naughty and misbehaving beagle dog. This gave my mom a bad first experience with dogs. I tried to tell her that all dogs aren't like Talie, but she couldn't believe that.

Talie is my sister's dog. My sister will be moving out soon (bringing Talie). I asked my parents (since I still live with them) if I could get my own dog to be my best friend and companion. They said yes after a bit of talk. I really wanted to rescue a dog, so we started out with fostering Sydney. (Please keep in mind that fostering is MUCH different than adopting a dog and then dumping him/her. Fostering is to see if the dog is a good fit for your family. Just so happens the 2 dogs we fostered didn't fit in. Please don't consider that "getting a dog and then ditching it".) Sydney didn't work out because she and Talie were both alpha females so they fought. Sydney also wanted to eat the cats.
A couple days later we brought Gwen home. She was such an awesome dog! So loving, happy, calm, etc. Problem was: she had BAD separation anxiety. There was no way she was going to be trained out of it. It was so bad she had to be on meds. We fostered her for almost 2 weeks. She was so perfect! But there was no way I could keep her..... she destroyed stuff and cried if I disappeared for 2 minutes! We had to bring her back because of that. I wanted to do what was best for her and myself. I new she wouldn't be happy with me in the long run.

Then, Kylo. I will admit that we rushed into it a little bit to fast. My mom definitely wasn't ready...which we all found out AFTER bringing him home. She just got very overwhelmed with the two dogs that needed constant work and attention. Don't worry, we didn't just dump Kylo in a shelter or stick him outside. He went to a good friends house where he will get a huge yard and his own private beach! He will be very spoiled and we'll even get to go visit him. Maybe eventually I'll get my own dog.

Thanks for reading.

You're right. I forgot to point out that what we did was actually called a "slumber party". That's the official name at the shelter, but they just call it "fostering".

Exactly. But how am I supposed to see if a dog is the right fit without a slumber party? It's impossible!
I can certainly see the benefit of a meet and greet in home to make sure that they can get along with other animals in the house. But as many other members have pointed out, it doesn't tell you much about the dog beyond that because it takes a long time for them to settle in. Behavior will change as they become more confident, and the dog you have for life may seem very little like the anxious mess you brought home. Trust can't be built in a day.
Same goes for training... it takes time and WORK. But the bond you form with your dog while putting in all that work is priceless.

I understand that these weren't your choices, and it breaks my heart not just for the shelter dogs, but also for you having to give up your puppy. But just because it's not fair doesn't mean you can't learn something from it. I hope you will remember the advice of the other members when you do eventually get another chance at owning a dog.

I truly wish you all the best.

Don't worry, we didn't just dump Kylo in a shelter or stick him outside. He went to a good friends house where he will get a huge yard and his own private beach! He will be very spoiled and we'll even get to go visit him.
Good for you; that is such a relief! I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

If you ever end up looking to buy a puppy from a breeder again, learn what makes a responsible breeder. The photo of the puppies in a barn with a heater gave me bad feelings.

Back
Top Bottom