Help!!! Sick chicken/heat exhaustion?

I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t even know what a crop was. These are my first chickens that’s why I only have two!
I could go check her now. I’m sure she’s asleep.
Should I wake her to find out or let her rest?
How is she this morning?
No need to be embarrassed, we all have something new to learn everyday:)
The crop is on the right front side of the chicken, this is the "pouch" that holds the food when they eat. You should be able to gently run your hand down her front and feel a bulge or lump if she has any food in it. Feel up your other chicken for comparison. It won't hurt her to feel of her.
A normal crop will be full when she goes to bed and empty by morning (before eating/drinking). The crop will also go up and down during the day since a chicken eats/drinks all day (eat/drink/poop:D).
If the crop feels full, hard or doughy in the morning or if she has a sour/yeasty smell to her breath, then you will want to investigate further and treat her crop.

Feel her up and report back. I hope she is doing much better today.

This article has some good photos and explanation of how the crop works.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

How is she this morning?
No need to be embarrassed, we all have something new to learn everyday:)
The crop is on the right front side of the chicken, this is the "pouch" that holds the food when they eat. You should be able to gently run your hand down her front and feel a bulge or lump if she has any food in it. Feel up your other chicken for comparison. It won't hurt her to feel of her.
A normal crop will be full when she goes to bed and empty by morning (before eating/drinking). The crop will also go up and down during the day since a chicken eats/drinks all day (eat/drink/poop:D).
If the crop feels full, hard or doughy in the morning or if she has a sour/yeasty smell to her breath, then you will want to investigate further and treat her crop.

Feel her up and report back. I hope she is doing much better today.

This article has some good photos and explanation of how the crop works.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

Thanks for the reply. This morning she looks about the same. No standing and super weak. And wants to turn her head behind her to rest it I think.
I felt for her coop and I don’t think it’s empty. It felt bloated I think. I tried to give her wanted as she hasn’t been eating or drinking alone that I’ve seen. And she barley swallowed a couple sips, as I haven’t been shoving it down her throat.

After, I could tell that her crop is definitely soft and larger than the left side.

She’s spoken a couple cherps this morning which makes me feel a bit better I guess. We don’t have a feed store for 45 miles so I’m going to go see if the local hardware store has any advice or electrolytes or something

My local hardware store only had electrolytes ):
And it’s so hard to get her to drink anyways. I don’t know what more I can do with her but let nature run it’s course and what will be will be..

Do what you can to keep her drinking. The electrolytes are fine, in a pinch you can give her some diluted Gatorade.

Is she pooping? What does that look like?

If the crop does not feel like it's emptying, give it a massage to see if you can break up what's in there. I usually massage in a kneading motion. Coconut oil is also good to help lubricate things up - see if she will eat a little of that for you.
Not eating for a day or so is o.k., but she needs fluids, so push those. If you think she will eat give her something soft like boiled/scrambled egg.
Here's a good article that may help you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you. She’s not participating in swollowing liquids anymore. But trying to give her electrolytes. I’m gonna let her rest. Been massaging her crop.
I don’t think she’s anywhere near eating though.
Everything seems so gooped up. Her beak seems super mucusy. I’ll try oil soon

I'm so sorry to hear that. So sad. How are you doing? Her sister is probably going to be lonely for her, she's going to need you for awhile so hang in there. Keep an eye on her, make sure that she is drinking, don't assume, make sure :) again, I'm so sorry for your loss *hug*

Thank you. I will definitely watch her sister. She has to cousin ducks, seem to be hanging out w her a bit more.
But I’ll make sure she’s doing ok.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom