Help!!! We've got lumps!!!!

birdgirl408

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2014
What can we do peoples? I am hoping to be able to upload some photos, but in the meantime; My beautiful gold and brown Orpington cross has got what look like cysts. There are multiple lumps in a sac either side of her keel bone. One sac, each side, containing different size lumps. She has had these for quite a while, initially they didn't bother me! They never bothered her and still don't, but the sacs are getting larger and filling with more gristle type lumps. She is 6 yrs old and wouldn't survive an anaesthetic. She really isn't bothered, eats, drinks, forages (what a forager!!) and lays the most beautiful eggs. The number of lumps seem to be increasing as you can see one sac hanging down on one side. I'll try and upload some pictures. Please can someone advise the best course of action, if any. Believe me, if she was in any discomfort I wouldn't hesitate to have her pts. But I'm sure she feels fine.

Attachments

• 20220715_114845.jpg
    20220715_114845.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220715_114828.jpg
    20220715_114828.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220715_114430.jpg
    20220715_114430.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I am not a vet at all or even pretend to be, but they look kinda like tumors-our dog (yes, not the same as I chicken, I know) started getting some lumps on her shoulders and chest and they ended up be tumors.

I don't think there is much you can do except let her live out the rest of her life happy.

Thank you, I would normally, but she is quite old, and super fit in all other respects, and and to put her under an anaesthetic would be the death of her, so am not prepared, yet, to go down this route. Thanks for your advice though.

Thank you for your reply. I don't believe the lumps are cancerous, but thank you for that very useful information.

Thank you, I would normally, but she is quite old, and super fit in all other respects, and and to put her under an anaesthetic would be the death of her, so am not prepared, yet, to go down this route. Thanks for your advice though.
This ^^

The issue with a vet, is they no matter what it is in this situation there isn’t anything you can do. You can’t safely do surgery, and I’m pretty sure no vet is going to offer chicken kemo, not its that likely a good idea on an older hen. If it is cancer, the vet is just going to recommend euthanasia.

Last edited:
I think that’s what most vets do. She’s talking about for surgery to remove the masses. There would be nothing the vet could do for this hen if it was cancerous.
But if it isn’t, a vet can drain it with local anesthesia or with just flipping the chicken and covering it.
In my opinion, if you want something treated and you don’t know what it is, you go to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom