Help with sick Chicken

aaronbeelove1

Hatching
Apr 3, 2018
One of our Rhode Island Reds is acting sick. Her tail seems to not be standing straight up and she stands hunched over and her eyes seem to try to fall asleep sometimes when she's standing. Her poop seems watery and not much coming out, her rear end (I think it's correctly called a vent) is WHITE. I bought her some electrolytes and probiotics at Tractor Supply. She seems a little better, but was just wondering what might be wrong.

How old is she and can you post a pic of her vent as best as you can? Also, when was the last time she laid an egg?

She is about 4 years old. She was acting like she needed to lay about 3-4 days ago but I let her out in the yard and she seemed fine until that evening. A few moments ago I was giving her bread which was her favorite treat, and she was eating it up. Other than the probiotics and electrolyte water she doesn't seem to want to eat or drink other than a little bit of grass. She shows some life and then a few moments later she closes her eyes. Couldn't get a great photo of her vent but here goes
20180405_183443.jpg
20180405_183544.jpg

Attachments

• 20180405_183453.jpg
    20180405_183453.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 4
Her vent is soiled with urates. I have that happen with my hens. I use the garden hose to spray it off, then pat dry with an old towel. Her soiled feathers dont look too bad though.
I wouldnt give her bread, it can bind her up. Stick with layer feed, you can add water to it to make a mash and she might eat it.
Ensure she has fresh water, no apple cider vinegar in the water. Dont pluck grass and give it to her, it can cause crop or gizzard problems. It's ok if the hen herself picks grass and eats it herself.
I suspect she might be eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides and soak her for about 20 minutes. While she's soaking, massage her abdomen front to rear. This might encourage her to lay an egg if she's eggbound.
Also, closely inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area.

Back
Top Bottom