musimgm

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
Born in Morocco, living in the Netherlands, always nuts about animals.

Six months ago we moved to a small town, while my girlfriend was looking at the sight and space inside (while inspecting the new house), I was wondering how much living creatures I can fit in the backyardJ

Cut to 5 month later after a long winter, fixing our home (when we got it there was no bathroom!) I was tired of mandatory stuff and had way too much leftover materials.

So what do you do? I spontaneously started building a coop(3x4) and a covered run (10x6) using most guidelines from BYC (I’ve been lurking for weeks), a self-closing feeder and a PVC system that hold 5 gallons of water.

I know exactly what I want, but I don’t know if it will work. I want 5 hens each from different breed(will it work?), between 12 and 18 months old. I’ve settled on a NHB(dutch breed), Sussex, Maran, Araucana and a barnevelder.

Any advice, tips or questions, please don’t hesitate! I can use all the help I can get!

On Friday I went to a farm which advertised that they had 18 weeks old chickens, I couldn’t find 5 that I liked so ended up taking 3.

IMG_3724.JPG
every newbie, I didn’t holding the up in the coop for 24h, the first day they found their way to the roosting bar.

They also figured out the drinking nipples within the hour, really happy about that!
Now I am looking for another 2 to add…

greetings,

MUS

Attachments

• IMG_3723.JPG
    IMG_3723.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3610.JPG
    IMG_3610.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
:welcome so glad you have joined us.

Hope you got your bathroom finished and operational before starting your coop:eek:.

Sounds like you'll have a wonderful flock once you locate the ones you want.

If you haven't already done so, do take a look at how to introduce new flock members - there are a number of Articles on BYC to help. There have also been a number of past threads/discussions on the subject.

Feel free to post specific questions you may have in the forums, you'll find folks here happy to help.

Good luck in the new adventure.

Hi am new too.
Have a flock of 11 hens and 1 roo.

Just incubated and hatched some chicks. Got 8 from 11 eggs but 2 put down as developed too far gone leg problems. Chicks now 2 1/2 weeks old and growing fast.
Eating like there's no tomorrow!
Just wondering if they could go in a run on straw...
Mind you not that warm here in UK and showery so maybe wait a while.
Looking forward to some interesting chats on here.

Hi am new too.
Have a flock of 11 hens and 1 roo.

Just incubated and hatched some chicks. Got 8 from 11 eggs but 2 put down as developed too far gone leg problems. Chicks now 2 1/2 weeks old and growing fast.
Eating like there's no tomorrow!
Just wondering if they could go in a run on straw...
Mind you not that warm here in UK and showery so maybe wait a while.
Looking forward to some interesting chats on here.

Hello and Welcome to BYC.
You should start your own thread under this forum, to get a proper welcoming.
IMO they are still too young to move out to the run - they need to be 5-6 weeks old, fully feathered first.

Back
Top Bottom