Ho much do you sell your eggs for?

geoaware

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
Southern Maine
HI all

We are small egg producers (3 a day) and yet we have considerable demand for our excess eggs. We have been selling them for $3 a dozen.

But what is the going rate for free range, farm fresh eggs from super happy chickens??

Gaz and Jen

I think it depends on where you live. I just started selling eggs again and raised my price to $1.50. I will probably raise it again after a few months once my eggs are "proven" to my customers. I don't think that $2/dz is out of hand where I live which is the middle of nowhere IL.

We had been selling ours for only $1.00 per dozen but now that the supermarket is getting $1.75 for there's we are going to $1.50 and maybe even $2.00 per dozen.

Quote:
Yep, that is exactly my situation....Except that I have been on a 6 month hiatus from eggs and I now have a TON of new customers. Feed costs are rising and I have to at minimum break even.

I would get $3 per dozen. I just looked at Walmart and theirs are $3 per dozen. That is what I will be charging here, that is IF my chickens ever decide to lay any eggs.
lol.png

I think it's like Ang said - it depends on where you live. Depending on how your chickens are fed/raised, I would look at the prices of organic and free range eggs in your area, then go a bit lower. I just read an article in the Sacramento Bee about organic chicken farms, and one woman said that for organic, free range eggs, she's paying $7.00/dozen. Seems a bit pricey to me, but she seemed okay with it and they are a large operation, so I guess there are a number of fools - I mean people - who are willing to pay that price. Good luck with your sales.
Liz

In the store the other day, regular "from the factory" not organic, not free range, just regular eggs were $2.06/doz (good thing there's no inflation)

Mine are $3.50/doz, or $5/18
and that might go up a bit if gunky store eggs are more than $2.

I've just started selling my organic eggs by the 1/2 dozen for $1.75. I do have to point out the organic part or else people raise their eyebrows, but so far, so good! (Grocery stores around here are selling 1/2 dozen organic eggs for around $2.50.)

Back
Top Bottom