How do you get a duck poop sample?

Compostflower

Songster
May 11, 2021
Hi friends my duck little girl is going to the vet in two days and they asked me to bring a poop sample. Not sure how to go about getting one considering it’s usually watery. Any help would be appreciated lol

I was going to be a smartass and say 'check under your shoe' or how do you NOT get a poop sample', but I'll be good. Oh wait, I said those already, lol!

Seriously though, place her in a dog crate or something similar and collect what she 'gifts' you with. There's no getting around it being watery, although I suppose you could put down paper towels to absorb some of the wetness and use what's on top. They'll be checking for parasites, so the watery bits aren't going to be needed.

Hi friends my duck little girl is going to the vet in two days and they asked me to bring a poop sample. Not sure how to go about getting one considering it’s usually watery. Any help would be appreciated lol
Others have given good suggestions! :thumbsup

We have followed a dog around with a ladle to collect urine sample before. :sick

Please note that parasites can pass intermittently and not show up on floats even when present.. so frustrating, still we do our best! Consider adding which country you're in to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance regarding different resources, etc. (maybe nor relevant for this specific question)

How old is your duck friend and why is she needing to see the vet? Hopefully all is well and she continues to thrive! :fl

Well she was having some on and off egg issues with laying soft eggs and binding since may. Now she is not laying any and even though she’s acting perfectly fine I still want to get her checked out since she’s my baby. I was just wondering the best way to get a sample that was optimal I was thinking I’d have to follow her around with a jar or something to poop in but if you think scooping it off the ground will work I’ll try that LoL never took her to the vet since it’s very far from me I’m in the USA by the way in the boonies basically.

Back
Top Bottom