How does one transform an Adult chicken coop into a Chick coop?

JasperMoon

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Ohio
So my father decided that we are going to send our chickens to be culled and processed for meat, and that we are going to start fresh this year. Only one problem, we have to start the chicks in the pre made adult chicken coop. I am worried that its just to big for them or to dangerous, and we want them to be warm and used to humans. our feeders are just low enough for full grown chickens but chicks wont be able to reach it. and there water supply, its just simplay to high as well as the roost, and the nesting boxes. and they wont have any protection from animals.(our run has chicken wire but there is some of the other stuff. and should we atleast keep a hen to protect them? please help me.

A hen would not protect your chicks. You can give them a separate feeder and waterer until they are big enough to use the existing equipment. You can brood them right in the coop with a MHP system if you can get electricity into the coop. If the coop is too big, you can put an appliance box in there for the first 2 weeks. Can you post pics of your set up?

I'd recommend checking out this article by azygous: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/
It contains a lot of very helpful information about brooding chicks outdoors, which it sounds like is kind of what you'll be doing. The main things to keep in mind are making sure that you have a very, very reliable electricity to keep heat in the coop and that the chicks won't be able to escape or get stuck in any nooks or crannies. I agree with @lazy gardener ; a picture of your setup would help us help you. Also, a hen won't protect your chicks; making sure they can't get out and other animals can't get in will be on you.

A hen would not protect your chicks. You can give them a separate feeder and waterer until they are big enough to use the existing equipment. You can brood them right in the coop with a MHP system if you can get electricity into the coop. If the coop is too big, you can put an appliance box in there for the first 2 weeks. Can you post pics of your set up?
yes id have to wait until i get home for that to get the pictures, we have electricity for the coop when it is cold out so the water isn't frozen. and im gonna see if I have pictures of the coop

@Hufflefluff @lazy gardener the wires are gone and when we get more they will be tighter and it is alot cleaner the water is clean and the coop is clean I take very good care of them,also the light is 100% non teflon so no worries these are also super old ill post better up to date pictures when i get home
chicken1.jpg
chicken2.jpg
chicken3.jpg
chicken4.jpg
chicken5.jpg

Or this article by Blooie...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Simply dividing off a section for them when they are little, making it larger as they grow until they don't even realize it's not there anymore will be about all you need to do. Put a few bricks under the feeder and waterer until they can reach it. Don't worry about the roosts and nests - they will stay on the floor anyway and won't use them until they need them, which is a ways off yet.

I'd lower the feeder, start with an appropriate sized waterer that the chicks won't drown in. definitely don't hold back a hen. one of my chicks slipped past me when I had the door open and I didn't notice it... it got eaten in short order by the hens, barely a peep out of the poor thing and within minutes, no head. adult hens that are not broody and have no attachment to chicks will be ruthlessly violent towards them. if there is a draft, you can take two boards, a few feet long and screw them together at the ends to make a wind screen. I like the MHP method the best for heat or you can use a heat lamp. getting them through the first week or so is the trickiest depending on the whether. once weened from the heat at 5-6 weeks they will be fine, probably find some place in a nesting box to huddle at night for warmth, then transition to roosts some weeks after. I would hardware cloth anywhere there are gaps bigger than a 1/2" to keep them in and keep out the rats/vermine, chicks are even more defenceless than hens.

Or this article by Blooie...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Simply dividing off a section for them when they are little, making it larger as they grow until they don't even realize it's not there anymore will be about all you need to do. Put a few bricks under the feeder and waterer until they can reach it. Don't worry about the roosts and nests - they will stay on the floor anyway and won't use them until they need them, which is a ways off yet.
thank you so much ^^ this is wonderful advice

I'd lower the feeder, start with an appropriate sized waterer that the chicks won't drown in. definitely don't hold back a hen. one of my chicks slipped past me when I had the door open and I didn't notice it... it got eaten in short order by the hens, barely a peep out of the poor thing and within minutes, no head. adult hens that are not broody and have no attachment to chicks will be ruthlessly violent towards them. if there is a draft, you can take two boards, a few feet long and screw them together at the ends to make a wind screen. I like the MHP method the best for heat or you can use a heat lamp. getting them through the first week or so is the trickiest depending on the whether. once weened from the heat at 5-6 weeks they will be fine, probably find some place in a nesting box to huddle at night for warmth, then transition to roosts some weeks after. I would hardware cloth anywhere there are gaps bigger than a 1/2" to keep them in and keep out the rats/vermine, chicks are even more defenceless than hens.
thank you. should i just cover up the entrance to the run until they get big enough? and only let them out when im with them so they at least get some exercise?

Back
Top Bottom