Don't know what the level is now, but during the Houston flood of 1935 Buffalo Bayou crested at 54.4 feet. Downtown Houston then:

houston-flood-1935.jpg

Thanks. It's very difficult to understand the scale of something from photos, especially if you don't know the area. That's a LARGE area. I know Texas is big, but I've no clue how big the areas within Texas are. You can look at a map and see a dotted place name, but that tells you nothing about how much area that place covers.....

Yes, any encroachment of water into the house can cause a lot of damage, but if the house is otherwise standing, you can "camp out" while repairing or waiting for repairs (obviously depending on how much water has got into what), go back to your job (if your job is still there). What do you do if you've got no house, no car, nowhere local to stay to keep working.... :(

rjohns39, they build houses up north on "stilts", I was surprised when Katrina happened to see that houses in Louisiana are built flat. It's very low-lying isn't it, Louisiana? I suppose it costs more in engineering to do that, and people build what they can afford. After Darwin got flattened by a cyclone, they changed the building standards and the houses up north are now built "better" than they are down here, to withstand cyclones better.

I just hope the people affected don't get jerked around by their insurers and can get it sorted ASAP without further upset from insurers and contractors.
Just in my experience... Some insurers are really good and others not so much. I'm hoping for the best.

See if there is a recipe for Rice and gravy in it.
I looked for a recipe on the link that @rjohns39 sent for his cajun grocer but didn't see one there.
Rice n gravy is one of my all time favorites.....taught by my grandma....I've seen a few recipes when digging through the net but never seen one in a book.
I'll have to take a look when I get home. Send me a PM so I remember, if you want... I can send you the recipe if you need it, or does @rjohns39 need it?

Food is not really my problem.
I just got fat 3 years ago. (LAZY) Pretty much about the same time I started reading on BYC soo much!
:lau

It doesn't matter how lazy you. The only thing that matters is calories in minus calories out. Fat is what happens when calories in exceeds calories out.

Back
Top Bottom