I just bought DE- doesnt say food grade, is it ok

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
I just bought some DE at Farm and Fleet. it does not say food grade on it. Is it ok to use in the coop with the girls?
thanks

I wouldn't. Mine specifically says food grade, and non food grade has added ingredients that can harm the birds, from what I've read. Can you return it?

going to get some food grade this afternoon at the farm coop, my cat has a gut bug and I have dosed him twice with Flagyl... just noticed he is sickly looking again this morning, gonna put it in his water all the time to see if that helps.....

The bag MUST say FOOD CHEMICAL CODEX GRADE. If it does not, it is not safe for animal use.

Call around to local feed mills, not huge chain stores. Some use food grade DE in animal feed, since it is great at pest control (no more than 2% is used in a feed mix). I know my local mill uses it, but doesn't stock it for customers. But if I ask and pay in advance, they'll order an extra bag in the next shipment for me. $14 for 40lb, which is great. Some people pay more than $50 because they order online and have to have it shipped, which is ridiculous!

Quote:
putting it in water isn't going to work too well, it really only works when it's dry.
sad.png

I had trouble finding it as well. Someone told me to get Sweet PDZ. It is advertised for horse stalls but is fine for chickens as well. You can check out their website and it says OK for chickens. Almost any farm/feed store has it. I have been using it for about 3 months now. Has really cut down on the flies.

Quote:
putting it in water isn't going to work too well, it really only works when it's dry.
sad.png

I know it needs to be dry to deter plants bugs, I thought I had read that you could put it in water.... okay, so how should I does my cat if he eats dry food, will he get enough if I add to his kibbles??

Back
Top Bottom