I'm Curious about the Size of your Coops

We converted an old shed into a bigger coop for our egg layers. Right now there are just the 16 (15 girls & 1 boy) in there but I plan to add more next year. The coop is about 8 x 11. It doesn’t look like it was built with any real plans except to be functional. No two stud spacing a were the same, nothing was exact but it works. We insulated the walls and built a big covered run. Nothing is picture perfect but it is functional and the chickens are warm & dry. They went from 15 feet of roosting space to over 20 feet of indoor roosting space with room for more. The run is 8 x 30 & is fully covered.

Our original coop is 11x5 or 6. Part is coop and the other part is covered run. It also has a larger attached non covered run. Right now it has just 2 Silkies and their Brahma friend. She has been with them since they hatched and has always lived with them so she thinks she is a Silkie too. They sleep in a big heap on the coop floor all cuddled up. LOL! We may add a few more friends for them next year too.
It sounds neat! Any pictures?

Hubby worked really hard to build this for me! He would say I helped but all I really did was paint it. I love how the red doors can be removed for ventilation in the summer, yes, there is hardware cloth on it. A lot has been added since this picture too. We put a roost bar in the run and a silo looking gravity feeder on the back side. It is the perfect size for our small flock of 5.
That's really cute!! I love it!

I always wonder what size coops people have. I personally have a very large shed 40x40 that I use as my main coop. It's got a few separation pens, half the shed houses goats that other half houses donkeys. The chickens are allowed all over most of it but are kept out of the feed areas. They do have their own areas. They roughly have access to 30x40. I think my shed maxes out at about 75-80 chickens and 10-15 muscovy ducks. My birds are free to come and go, there's no run on this shed.

My bantam coop is 8x10 with a run roughly 6x30. They aren't often locked in and can come and go as they please. It comfortably houses 15-20 bantams.

My turkey shed is 10x12 with a 20x100 foot run and can house 12-15 comfortably.

So share what you have, because I'm always wondering. Feel free to share pictures too. I've seen some adorable coops on here. :) I'm also curious if anyone else has a big building, which is definitely a luxury.
Dang :eek:

Yikes, I guess I'm better off without a creek. :oops:

I also have a creek, about 15' from my run. Everyone around here calls it the wildlife highway. So yes it does attract a lot of animals, but on the other hand, most of them are just passing through and don't hang around. I've seen (or been told about) everything from otters floating down the river, great blue herons, a family of raccoons, a young bobcat, a resident she-bear, a pair of eagles, owls, hawks, deer, coyotes, beaver...

To the original topic, my coop (link at left, in profile) is 10x6 inside a run that is approximately 20x25. My plan is to have up to 12 chickens (currently at 7). Chicken math isn't a problem for me since I don't sell eggs or eat enough of them to need a ton of birds, and raising and integrating chicks is enough work that I wouldn't get them impulsively.

Last edited:
My coop is 6x16 built inside a 16x16 shed.
4' of the coop can be sectioned off for raising chicks.
8x50 main run and 8x12 run off chick section.
Details in link under avatar.
I keep 15-18 birds over winter and 30+ in spring summer.

full

Back
Top Bottom