Go ahead and assume they aren't viable as in the previous post and chunk them. You'll never know. Incubate for ten days and be sure. Collect another 18 eggs and set them with the original. Both groups can be set to hatch on the same day.

Here's some research. 3 hours after fertilization of the ovum the cells begin to divide. Incubation occurs while still in the hens reproductive tract. When it is laid there are already about 50 thousand embryo cells present in the egg. 0nce the egg had cooled below 77F the embryo goes into a stasis mode and cells begin to die. The next day the hen adds another egg to the clutch, warms the first egg up, the cells begin to divide again and refreshes the embryo. This can go on for 2-3 weeks. Ever wonder how a hen can successfully hatch most if not all of the eggs on the same day laid during the creation of her clutch. This is how. With all our fancy ways and rules we can't even come close to the success of a good broody hen with a brain pan the size of a pea and imprinted memory.

All the previous eggs laid get warmed up to incubation temps each time she adds an egg to the clutch, the cells begin dividing again and refreshes the embryo for the cells that died during the time she was off the nest and the eggs cooled.

The two questions are how long your eggs, not the incubator was over 77F and do you feel lucky

Research shows that the 'magical' temp is 72°F for core temperature of the egg to be to start development of the embryo, same temp holds true for the stopping of development.
If the core temp didn't get below 72°F, then there is a good chance they will develop when you resume incubating.
When birds are laying for a 'clutch' of eggs to incubate, they are usually not on the nest long enough to raise the core temperature of the already laid eggs to incubation temperature.
As with any incubation scenario, there are too many variables to say with certainty that the eggs will be ok and proceed to full term development.
IMHO, I think most of the eggs will be ok, you may see a few that quit early during this period, which with only about one day of development will be awfully hard to tell/see when the egg is broken open and examined.
Best of luck with your hatching!

When birds are laying for a 'clutch' of eggs to incubate, they are usually not on the nest long enough to raise the core temperature of the already laid eggs to incubation temperature

I think the poultry experts at Petersime AUS might have a different opinion. Your opinion is a direct contradiction to Petersime and their research of preincubation techniques and undermine a substantial portion of their equipment sales for that very procedure. I suggest you Google preincubation of poultry eggs.

I wish i knew how to cut and paste links on the phone so you could be directed to the exact petersime page but short of that I've attached a few pics. Periodic heat treatment allows the embryo to redress disproportionate development and ensures the required degree of embryonic development of all tissues in a porportional way. I'm not certain but I think the translation of that statement is that the periodic warming above the physiological zero allows for cellular division which means the eggs are brought up to incubation temps. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Attachments

• 1301_bs12srsox_en.pdf
    482.5 KB · Views: 2
If you dont want to risk downloading that file here are the screen shots. @007Sean
Screenshot_20190422-020425_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190422-020431_Drive.jpg

Pre-incubation is totally different than a hen going back to a nest of eggs, to lay another egg and waiting to have a clutch of eggs before incubation.
What pre-incubation does in theory is allows certain embryonic cells to develop, at which point when gradually cooled down to 77°F allows for a longer storage time (statis) before incubation of the eggs in commercial hatcheries.
If you tried going below that temperature it would result in the death of the embryo.
Here are a couple of articles for your reading pleasure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...1020/1620704&usg=AOvVaw12czIWuDqIA3bbAD_j6BIU

https://www.backyardchickens.com/at...4/?temp_hash=97ca7ef09f819c35ccd9ae7112c53932

Think like this, how long would the average hen sit on eggs before getting up to eat or drink. How long would she be gone? Average time off eggs 20 minutes and in beginning, a trance takes over their bodies and they stay in that state for quiet a while. They know first three days are important because that is when blood vessels are forming and very fragile. I would say no they will not make it or you may loose them at candle. If you believe that this has not happened to all of us, well let me tell you I stressed over loss for so long. But then I remember we all have a date and we learn and turn around and go collect some more. It sucks but we are not in control of the process 100%. Chin up, and just think, you may be able to brood them outside and “stupid incubators” we say lol and then its
“why does this always happen on day 20, really?” Lol. Get out there and start collecting! Here is an outside of the box idea. Next time, heat oven to ‘keep warm’ and get one of those oven thermometers and set in to get ‘keep warm’ temp. Open door to width you need and incubate your eggs and warm the house. Or try using a heat pad to create ambient temp overall which may be enough to keep vessels growing. If your the age you say you are, I hope when I grow up I am just like you!
Very good advice. I just hate loosing an animal. I do not eat animal products. I am pushing 63 in June but I am very young looking and not your typical looking grandmother. My love for animals has been as long as I could remember. I am my happiest when I am surrounded by them. So I will chalk this up to " DUMB STUPID INCUBATOR " and start again.

Back
Top Bottom