ZoomuKeeper

Songster
Jul 25, 2018
Near Live Oak Florida
Collected the eggs, 18 really nice ones, perfect shape and size. Placed them in the incubator yesterday. Today the incubator quit. It just stopped working. I am wondering if my eggs will be lost now or do I still have time to run and buy another one tomorrow and save my clutch? Kind of heart broken. My first hatch went so well

I don't have much experience yet with hatching but my friend who does my hatching for me and I'm learning from said she had power outage for hours one time and they still did OK. She said just don't open it up and let them cool to much. But I don't have voice of experience as I'm just learning incubating.

Collected the eggs, 18 really nice ones, perfect shape and size. Placed them in the incubator yesterday. Today the incubator quit. It just stopped working. I am wondering if my eggs will be lost now or do I still have time to run and buy another one tomorrow and save my clutch? The eggs were in the incubator for 24 hours. Kind of heart broken. My first hatch went so well
It is possible that the eggs are not dead this early in the cycle and that moving them to a working incubator should work.

It depends weather the black line which eventually becomes the backbone has formed. There's obviously no way to tell so put them in the new incubator and candle along about the 10th day when it's easier to see embryo development.

They were in the incubator for 24 hours but what's important is how long the contents of the egg was at incubation temperature. Probably less than 24 hours.

It depends weather the black line which eventually becomes the backbone has formed. There's obviously no way to tell so put them in the new incubator and candle along about the 10th day when it's easier to see embryo development.

They were in the incubator for 24 hours but what's important is how long the contents of the egg was at incubation temperature. Probably less than 24 hours.
I candled them all they are clear

I candled them all they are clear
After only 24 hours it is probably impossible to tell the difference between a fertile egg and an infertile one. Anymore I just candle one time on day 19 to remove dead and clear ones.

That's why I said put them in the new incubator and candle on day 10 when it's impossible not see the embryo development. If they are good then set to hatch on day 17, not than 18 because its impossible to know how advanced they may be with broken time.

Think like this, how long would the average hen sit on eggs before getting up to eat or drink. How long would she be gone? Average time off eggs 20 minutes and in beginning, a trance takes over their bodies and they stay in that state for quiet a while. They know first three days are important because that is when blood vessels are forming and very fragile. I would say no they will not make it or you may loose them at candle. If you believe that this has not happened to all of us, well let me tell you I stressed over loss for so long. But then I remember we all have a date and we learn and turn around and go collect some more. It sucks but we are not in control of the process 100%. Chin up, and just think, you may be able to brood them outside and “stupid incubators” we say lol and then its
“why does this always happen on day 20, really?” Lol. Get out there and start collecting! Here is an outside of the box idea. Next time, heat oven to ‘keep warm’ and get one of those oven thermometers and set in to get ‘keep warm’ temp. Open door to width you need and incubate your eggs and warm the house. Or try using a heat pad to create ambient temp overall which may be enough to keep vessels growing. If your the age you say you are, I hope when I grow up I am just like you!

Back
Top Bottom