Thisisnataliea

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2022
So, I’m new. I apologize if this is unnecessary or in the wrong spot! I have 5 Roos. Bawk Bawk is my big Australorp and he is the oldest and Alpha, while frostbite during this NNY winter hit my boys hard and I went into the coop to find Bawk Bawk covered in blood and comb tore up! So I’ve removed him and am treating his injuries(I don’t know how long it’ll take. I was able to keep a hen with him and she hasn’t harmed him thankfully) but my issue is … Can Bawk Bawk go home one day? Or will he be ostracized? He was king of the coop and 3 of the other Roos: No Butt, Big Guy and That Guy are his sons. While Speckles is form an outside batch. They’re all younger(speckles an Amaraucana. Is the youngest. No butt and Big Guy are Australorps like Bawk Bawk. That guy is half amar/austra. I just am so heartbroken at the thought of Bawk Bawk losing his title and being an outcast? Any experience with this type of situation? He is such an awesome rooster and kept everyone in line and cared for his hens so well!! I am not sure who is new alpha but I think it might be No Butt(a rumpless rooster lol) …should I even attempt to add Bawk Bawk back? Or would it just be messy?

Ps. The pictures are the boys all happy in better days and weather.

Attachments

• BD1E8208-7FE2-45F2-AC8E-17A6502396D1.jpeg
    BD1E8208-7FE2-45F2-AC8E-17A6502396D1.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 8BB85AD2-93CC-445D-9970-F69D0568AC30.jpeg
    8BB85AD2-93CC-445D-9970-F69D0568AC30.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 0F4188CE-8953-4389-A911-82DD8122D42E.jpeg
    0F4188CE-8953-4389-A911-82DD8122D42E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 03802D14-CB8F-48BA-9D82-9D1084479974.jpeg
    03802D14-CB8F-48BA-9D82-9D1084479974.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0C7D97EF-276C-4050-A6EC-A2990CC8A09A.jpeg
    0C7D97EF-276C-4050-A6EC-A2990CC8A09A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Once he goes back with the flock he will have to re-establish his place in the pecking order. I brought in a new rooster and he fought 5 or 6 of ours and eventually they let him be. Having multiple roosters they will get cross with each other, it's inevitable.

Once he goes back with the flock he will have to re-establish his place in the pecking order. I brought in a new rooster and he fought 5 or 6 of ours and eventually they let him be. Having multiple roosters they will get cross with each other, it's inevitable.
So he has recovered. We did add him back and the other roosters fell in line quick but him and no butt started fighting a lot. So unfortunately we may have to choose who too keep if they can’t get along. I don’t know if every fight is too the death with roosters..

So he has recovered. We did add him back and the other roosters fell in line quick but him and no butt started fighting a lot. So unfortunately we may have to choose who too keep if they can’t get along. I don’t know if every fight is too the death with roosters..
You're right, every fight doesn't end in a death, but it must result in one backing down on their own or being beaten down, in my experience. If he is recovered, he may be up to reclaiming his position. Like you, I really enjoy having roosters. There are different dynamics to having multiple roosters though. I wish you the best. Keep a close eye on those boys. Do they free range or are they in a closed run?

We have 8 roosters and about 2 dozen hens but we have ways of isolating them and we free range them in the day. Heather is right they rarely fight to death but occasionally it happens. I have one dominant and 2 beta but they avoid each other. Everyone else avoids them. Lol

You're right, every fight doesn't end in a death, but it must result in one backing down on their own or being beaten down, in my experience. If he is recovered, he may be up to reclaiming his position. Like you, I really enjoy having roosters. There are different dynamics to having multiple roosters though. I wish you the best. Keep a close eye on those boys. Do they free range or are they in a closed run?
They’re free range. Just in the coop at night. So once outside today No butt and him were able to establish a place and seemed fine then Bawk Bawk attacked speckles when he was being aggressive with a hen and speckles and him went at it. Speckles is an aggressive rooster sometimes. Bawk bawk backed down but speckles just kept starting things. So tonight I separated them(my coop has doors so I can separate everyone if needed) Bawk bawk, that guy and big guy are just fine. No butt is a bit testy and speckles is just mean. i love bawk bawk lol he’s such a sweet rooster. I have mixed feelings about speckles but everyone else likes him lol ..I plan to watch them and decide what to do. I’m not sure who I’ll move out in the end if needed.

Even if they don't fight to the death, if they fight often, it gives a lot of tension to the flock. And they don't call it cock fighting for nothing. Good advice is to solve for peace in the flock.
Yeah. Bawk bawk is an old rooster and No Butt, Big Guy and That guy are his sons. Speckles is from a batch of straight run we bought(he had a brother who was taken) I don’t love Speckles but he adds new blood to the flock(and he’s a nice breed) He’s not really nice to the hens though unfortunately. So I’m not even sure I want to keep him.

Even if they don't fight to the death, if they fight often, it gives a lot of tension to the flock. And they don't call it cock fighting for nothing. Good advice is to solve for peace in the flock.
Amen to that! It's incredibly stressful for us, so I imagine being a part of the flock (other than flock master/keeper/tender/etc) and with them all day everyday creates a lot of stress on everyone. Puts an entirely new spin on 'walking on eggshells'. I wish you the best

Yeah. Bawk bawk is an old rooster and No Butt, Big Guy and That guy are his sons. Speckles is from a batch of straight run we bought(he had a brother who was taken) I don’t love Speckles but he adds new blood to the flock(and he’s a nice breed) He’s not really nice to the hens though unfortunately. So I’m not even sure I want to keep him.
Speckles being rough with the hens creates even more stress all around. Mrs. K has the best advice. You want peace in your flock for a strong chance of happy healthy birds 💜

Back
Top Bottom