It would be hard to know what to think if she sees normally. I would observe her closely, and try to place some treats on each side to see of she can spot them.

Mareks is spread through the dust and dander of chickens. If she would have Mareks, it may just be the eye form, but all of them have been exposed to her. The only ways to know if Mareks is a problem, is to get a pcr blood test through a lab Vetdna, or someday if she dies, then your state poultry vet can test the body if you keep it cold, but not frozen. I certainly hope that she doesn’t have it. Some people have said they have had hens with eye Mareks, but none of the other symptoms.

It would be hard to know what to think if she sees normally. I would observe her closely, and try to place some treats on each side to see of she can spot them.

Mareks is spread through the dust and dander of chickens. If she would have Mareks, it may just be the eye form, but all of them have been exposed to her. The only ways to know if Mareks is a problem, is to get a pcr blood test through a lab Vetdna, or someday if she dies, then your state poultry vet can test the body if you keep it cold, but not frozen. I certainly hope that she doesn’t have it. Some people have said they have had hens with eye Mareks, but none of the other symptoms.
Ocular Marek’s isn’t as bad as the other strains. I know someone who has a hen with an eye like that, and she can still see out of it.

I thought only younger chickens got mareks or older hens if exposed to younger chicks? The cage is kept pretty clean. Way cleaner than the average chicken keepers cage.
It's just weird how that eye started when she's a month from 3

Back
Top Bottom