Is it safe to eat wild/city pigeons?

wisemike

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 23, 2013
I am staying in Dublin, Ireland, and I was wondering if I caught wild city pigeons, are they safe to eat after cooking well? Or they do have parasites that won't be gotten rid of by cooking? Everybody eats fish from the sea, or other birds we hunt.. right? So, apart from that "yucky" thought for some people, are they actually dangerous for health after being consumed? Or are they OK to eat?

I don't see any reason not to. My concern wouldn't be parasites, as fully cooking takes care of that. My concern would be pollution or chemicals. But so long as you weren't eating them every day I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy!

You would get into trouble with the animal protection organisation and police.

I know its crazy, because they don't make a fuss when the authorities are shooting, poisoning or otherwise culling them.

I would never eat on either, because of pollution and chemicals in their flesh. Parasites would be no problem as they are killed by the heat when you cook the bird.

But, there would be heavy metals and other toxic nasty stuff in their flesh for sure. Also they are so skinny and small and full of bones. Its hardly worth the effort of catching them, killing them, processing them, cleaning up the mess and cooking them.

If you want to eat pigeons then the farmed meat breeds are best. Or you might go and hunt wild wood pigeons, as they are meaty and worth the effort (make sure you do everything legally).

What's the different between pigeons in the park or wild wood pigeons?

The wood pigeon The common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus) is a large species in the dove and pigeon family.

Feral pigeons (Columba livia domestica), also called city doves, city pigeons, or street pigeons

They are 2 separate species of birds. They have different diets and live in different environments. Wood pigeons are much larger then feral pigeons also.

Sorry, I did a little research and in America you don't have wood pigeons!!!

Everything in this world is 'polluted' whether you go to the woods or in the city. Theres junk in the woods and junk in the city. Yes the woods may be cleaner than the city, but it still has its ups and downs.

The chicken we eat from mass production farmers is very discusting and most of the birds are ill that lay the eggs people eat or even the meat people eat. I have a friend who has worked for Tyson chicken company for over 30 years, says its pretty sickening to see the chickens.
So comparing to some nasty chicken being farmed in a factory, id say its better to 'hunt/harvest' your own food.
I agree that you should wait it out a bit before eating just to make sure it isnt sick. But other than that its fine eating a feral/street pigeon. They are usually not skinny but pretty built since they fly around quiet abit. Pigeons naturally have an airsac cleaner that helps remove any toxins from their body, just like we do. Our lungs help us breathe but also our body naturally helps us remove small toxins from our lungs and body. So same goes for pigeons. So i say theres nothing wrong with eating them, especially if you are cooking it thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom