July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Insomniac wonderings… 1am 😭

1. Put eggs under new broody, hope they’re the fertile ones?

2. Start eggs in incubator and put only fertile ones under her

3. Slip day old chicks under broody (first time mom, first time broody owner)

4. Keep trying to break her…
I gave in & let mine keep 2. Today is day 21. I found 1 chick dis (well have the shell but completely intact membrane) yesterday. I told hubs if this other one doesn’t hatch we need to grab her a few day olds from tsc

Down to 19 of 21 eggs. Today is day eleven. Of my
2 mutts (my own eggs)
1 Swedish Flower
1 Isbar
1 Legbar
3 Copper Marans
1 Golden Deathlayer
2 old Red laced blue Wyandottes
2 Barbezouix (spelling?)
2 Pavlovskaya
2 Pita Pinta Austuriana
4 Guinea Fowl (my own eggs)

I've lost one Pavlovskaya and one Barbezuouix. The B was today, I'll do an eggtopsy later. Big ol' blood ring.

My incubator is still overstuffed, causing temperature fluctuations and cooler air toward the edges. So some eggs are developing a little slower, but I have lots of time, and once the others hatch, I can move them to the middle.

I'm excited to join this thread. It's lovely to see all the babies!

I just did my very first incubation last month and didn't know about the hatch along threads. I got 13 out of 24 shipped eggs (54%), so I was quite happy for my first time.

Now I have 21 La Bresse eggs started today. My incubator turner is being funny so I hope it goes well.

I thought I'd be more relaxed the second time around!
WOW! That is a GREAT hatching % for shipped eggs!!!!!!!!!

I think today at 4 starts day 10 for me. One sellers eggs were all duds. cracked some and they were scrambled. :( UGH won't use that seller again first batch was duds and 2nd same. I got 2nd for half off but still not worth it.

the other seller I am THRILLED WITH!!!!!!!!!!! out of 12 eggs I have 10 doing great!!!!! Hoping they continue to do great. She will be sending me some more on the 25th (so I can be home when they are due to hatch and after so I don't worry) since my order got mixed up and I didn't get as many of one breed that I should have.

My coop is going to be a HUGE mix of ages. LOL I have some that are a bit over a year, some that are 12 weeks, then 8 weeks (but they are going to a new home this weekend), then 5 that are 3 weeks now, 1 that is 2.5 weeks. Then I have the eggs set to hatch in 11 days (will give them to my broody when they hatch) and will be setting more that will hatch in about 5.5-6 weeks. LOL at least once the last eggs hatch the older chicks will be 18 weeks, the others will be gone, most likely the ones that are 3 weeks now will be gone, then the other will be 8-9 weeks, this hatch will be about 4 weeks. so not horrible by then I guess.

Hey everybody! Love all the babies popping out everywhere! So fluffy!!! I forgot to do an update after setting the new eggs yesterday....all the air cells looked FANTASTIC! Although, I couldn't actually see the air cells in the Marans eggs. Didn't see any bubbles floating around or anything though. There was one lavender that looked like the air cell was kinda on the side a bit, but it's very stable, no wobble, so I'm hoping it'll be ok. Everyone is in the incubator and doing well. Tonight is the Day 10 candle for all the other Ameraucanas. Can't wait to see if everyone is still doing OK that's left. If not, I'll be fine with that, I suppose. I only need two to be pulled in order to start using the turner again, which would be nice because I don't trust myself to turn them often enough and don't wanna handle them too much for fear that I might drop them. Can't wait to try @UThobbyfarmer suggestion to see if the Marans are fertile. I'm gonna try to hold off til Day 3 to check the new ones though, which will be Saturday. Love having the chance to hatch all these pretty babies! I hope I'm at least able to get a few of each...

Super bummed....but guess I shouldn't complain after all it was shipped eggs.
I just hate seeing so many eggs go unhatched.
I had 3 questionable ones but went ahead and kept em in for lockdown...none of them hatched. Then I had 4 DIS....one of those was a saddled air cell and then one was not a saddled air cell and it ended up in lockdown going really saddled! Anyone ever seen that happen?
Still have that same 1 trying to zip but it's struggling so not sure if it's gonna make it.
6 healthy looking (from what i can tell) are in brooder now and nappin.

Back
Top Bottom