Mama Heating Pad

JudyJ52

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2020
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Everyone: I am getting two new baby chicks on Friday and I thought I would try out the mama heating pad method this time. I made a half hoop out of hardware cloth and I am using a heating pad for a water bed we had. I then covered the pad with a towel and wood chips. The only problem I am having is when I touch the hardware cloth on the inside of the "cave" it is really hot to the touch and I am afraid of it burning the chicks. According to my thermometer the inside temp is around 90 degrees so I don't think the heating pad is set too high. Am I missing a step. Does the inside of the wire get lined with something.
mama heating pad.jpg

I was thinking about doing that but the heating pad would have no support. I think I will have to turn heat down some more and see if that helps and maybe not have so many chips in there so there is more head room

Wow!!! @rosemarythyme that is a fantastic article. Thank you for sharing it. I like your version of the MHP too. Thank you.
Yes...I put Press'n Seal on everything that is cloth including the heating pad. My heating pad is 22" or so long and it's all the way down the sides of my MHP. So they can get the heat on their backs and sides. So it's similar to yours but in a reverse kinda way. Lol. I think I'll be reading your article quite a bit before and during integration. Thank you. 😊

Back
Top Bottom