March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Nothing going on with what's left of the original group in the incubator. Will pull them out in another couple days, probably when I raise the humidity for the 2nd group. I candled about half of the 2nd group today and pulled out 2 and two more look like quitters but not 100% on them But saw good movement in at least 4 of the white breese I did candle. So will be Jacking up the humidity on Monday they are due on the 21st. In ya'll experience should I pull them out of the cartons and lay on their sides or just leave in the cartons? Or lay on their side on top of carton?

Nothing going on with what's left of the original group in the incubator. Will pull them out in another couple days, probably when I raise the humidity for the 2nd group. I candled about half of the 2nd group today and pulled out 2 and two more look like quitters but not 100% on them But saw good movement in at least 4 of the white breese I did candle. So will be Jacking up the humidity on Monday they are due on the 21st. In ya'll experience should I pull them out of the cartons and lay on their sides or just leave in the cartons? Or lay on their side on top of carton?

I would take them out of the carton's and lay them on their side's.

Congratulations on ducklings, chicks, and pips.
I can finally join the celebration as I awoke to four d'uccles and 1 sultan in the incubator and a little later, another d'uccle hatched. I have six eggs left and there are at least two sultans pipping right now, so hopefully more chicks soon. This means I can also put some more eggs in the incubator with more room;)

One thing a little disappointing is that one of the d'uccles seems to have slightly splayed legs. We had this problem with three of them last year and they never got rid of it. I taped this chick's legs but it kept falling over so I cut off the tape. I might just have to work with it to fix the legs, but other than that, I've had good luck so far.
Here are some pictures of them:
View attachment 1703771 View attachment 1703773
Very cute!

Hi there, I'm late to your thread but I have eggs due to hatch by 3/21 and 3/28, turkeys and chickens. :fl

Are many of you incubating shipped eggs? I would love to know how your hatches have been. I started with 23 eggs and two weeks in I'm down to 9. And counting. :barnie Can I just say I really don't like incubating shipped eggs.

After the first week, I removed a bunch of clears and refilled the empty spaces with some eggs of my own. Those will hatch a week after my shipped chicken eggs but will be on pace with the turkeys. Major finger crossing and good luck to all of you.

In ya'll experience should I pull them out of the cartons and lay on their sides or just leave in the cartons? Or lay on their side on top of carton?

I'm not sure of your specific situation. For badly saddled air cells I would probably hatch upright, but in my last hatch I had three pip at the wrong end of the egg. They were on their sides and all came out perfectly fine on their own. If they had been in cartons, they would have been forced to hatch upside down and things might not have gone so well.

Hi there, I'm late to your thread but I have eggs due to hatch by 3/21 and 3/28, turkeys and chickens. :fl

Are many of you incubating shipped eggs? I would love to know how your hatches have been. I started with 23 eggs and two weeks in I'm down to 9. And counting. :barnie Can I just say I really don't like incubating shipped eggs.

After the first week, I removed a bunch of clears and refilled the empty spaces with some eggs of my own. Those will hatch a week after my shipped chicken eggs but will be on pace with the turkeys. Major finger crossing and good luck to all of you.

I'm not sure of your specific situation. For badly saddled air cells I would probably hatch upright, but in my last hatch I had three pip at the wrong end of the egg. They were on their sides and all came out perfectly fine on their own. If they had been in cartons, they would have been forced to hatch upside down and things might not have gone so well.

Better late than never, right? I just incubated some shipped silkie egg's. I received 18, and 2 did hatch on the 14th. One of those I had to cull because both leg's were severely straddled where it could not even attempt to get up. The other one is still doing fine, and I am bonding with it. I don't like getting shipped egg's, but sometime's you have to try if you don't want hatchery stock. I still have some of those egg's in the incubator in hope's that they will still hatch. I might have to toss those if they haven't hatched by tomorrow night. I do have some other egg's in there from my own flock that should hatch anytime now, and I have some local silkie eggs from a small breeder that are due to hatch on the 22nd.

No major saddles or rough air cells in these that I've seen yet.
As for my shipped eggs first batch(terrible shipping from usps and more than half didn't even start) looking to hatch 0 from 27 eggs and second due 21st looking to maybe hatch 13 from 24 but we shall see in next few days.
Think I shall lay them on their side monday when discard all deads/duds and raise humidity.

Okay, well I'm sorry to hear that from both of you but it does make me not feel as bad. I'm also realizing it's better to start bigger batches of shipped eggs since so many end up failing.

I had just ordered those shipped silkie egg's this time because I knew that I would be getting those other silkie egg's local, and I wanted to try to have some silkies that wouldn't be related to what the small local breeder had. Whenever I find someone that has some nice showgirl silkie egg's or chick's, I will try to get some of those also.

Happy to announced that all my eggs had hatched (12 chicks-10 Black Copper Marans & 2 IC Bars) day 22 yesterday, except the 3 that I couldn’t candle, still in the incubator at friend’s house(friends 13 eggs only 3 hatched). So I’m pretty excited with the outcome.

They are all healthy and robust, even the 2 that I had to assist hatching since the membrane got dried out and stucked to the chicks (semi-shrink wrapped) I had to damp them with warm moist paper towel to loosen and freed. The 2 ice cream bars all hatched very relieved since theyre my rare ones.
FE40CA6F-6082-4AFA-A726-636A02C86DC3.jpeg
B9ED27DD-BF24-4073-B5DC-BF19FDF64CCF.jpeg

Last edited:

Welcome and good luck. I've never hatched shipped eggs before, only ever hatching what I have available myself, but lots of other people on here have shipped eggs.

Happy to announced that all my eggs had hatched (12 chicks-10 Black Copper Marans & 2 IC Bars) day 22 yesterday, except the 3 that I couldn’t candle, still in the incubator at friend’s house(friends 13 eggs only 3 hatched). So I’m pretty excited with the outcome.

They are all healthy and robust, even the 2 that I had to assist hatching since the membrane got dried out and stucked to the chicks (semi-shrink wrapped) I had to damp them with warm moist paper tower to loosen and freed. The 2 ice cream bars all hatched very relieved since theyre my rare ones. View attachment 1704649View attachment 1704651
Congratulations on the hatch. That's a really good hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom