More about the stupid black australorp that has ruined me for life....

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
I posted a little ditty about how I had bought BA's as freezer birds thinking they'd look nicer in the yard while filling out and lay nice brown eggs between brooder and freezer. And how this one pullet chick/maybe rooster was so friendly (even more than the other BA's) and now I had to rehome them all as i cant eat them.

I finally decided (5 weeks later) that i should name her. Henrietta. Henry if *she* starts crowing.

She follows me around the house. Like a chick might follow a hen, SUPER FAST AND CALLING TO ME IF SHE CANT SEE ME OHMIGOSH WHEREAREYOUAT??!! She comes running to "purrrrrUP chichick". And she's always hopping up on my hand in the brooder when iam trying to work... lol. She naps in my lap, and on my boob-shelf (obviously these were designed for her to rooster on.. duh!) and sits on my head when iam at the computer.

iam really liking this little gal. i think i'll keep her for breeding, she's so friendly- If i can get a friendly rooster they'll make a nice pair methinks.

3381076358_1ddd07e5e4_b.jpg

3381076282_66b8e0e755_b.jpg

3380255481_05b340fbbb_b.jpg

Ignore the ugly human- its the end of the day and I look like CRAP! lol.

She makes a perfectly lovely hair ornament!! You might start a fashion rage. I hear some are starting to carry chickens around in totes like Paris Hilton carries her dogs.
gig.gif

lol.png
Oh yes indeedy! My most favorite hen ever was a BA. That's her in my avatar and I believe you saw a big picture of her in the mean broody thread.

That hen had more personality than any other chicken I've ever raised...and I loved her may she RIP. I lost her last year to some type of foot injury. I wish that I had of been on BYC then. Maybe I could have saved her.

Your little Henry/etta looks like a keeper and that one's going to make you spoil her/him!

Quote:
I had a pet chick when I was 2. After that I had a totally utilitarian thought process about chickens. And for the most part I think it sticks- theyre like mobile house plants that lay eggs and taste good. lol. But this breed seems pretty cool.

My welsummer rooster however may end up on my table- and by my own hand. He's really starting to irk me. And he's only 4.5 weeks old!

Love the chick pics... but the one of the baby buns on the wall...
lol.png
CUTE!

The kids and I went to a poultry farm yesterday (field trip) and the owner was telling us how his big BA roo used to be named Henny Penny, until he crowed, then he became Henry.

My BA is wonderful, I hope yours is a she too.

i love my BA's they are so friendly, and come running to me when i go to the pen, and lay one egg aday for each hen all year long (350 eggs each last year) big brown ones. william

Quote:
I was just reading a magazine article about how "teased" hair is now "in". But for some reason, they don't mention The Pullet Treatment as a way to get it....

Back
Top Bottom