Need help identifying the breeds of these pretty roosters

roamingchickies

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2019
Hi, All!

I have some roosters that I've quarantined over the past weekend on account of needing to decide whether to sell for breed, or butcher. They're pretty birds, but they're lousy hen-keepers! They peck the hens away from the feed and essentially bogart any food they come across. I have plenty of roosters in our flock as it is, so these non-helpers need to go. Now, I don't know whether that means in the pot, or to someone who might like to breed or show them. They are very docile with us people. 111432.jpg 97882.jpg 86764.jpg 31375.jpg 6061.jpg IMG_20191021_092329937_HDR.jpg

Any ideas what these guys are? Sorry for poor image quality on a few of those. Thanks so much in advance! I love the BYC community!

We got them from someone who was re-homing their flock due to life events. It was a very eclectic mix of birds, and she said there were no barnyard mixes because she ordered fertilized eggs from either hatcheries or heritage breeders for her broody hens to hatch. I know among the flock we have speckled sussex, faverolles, sulmtaler, breda, cochin, etc. that aren't pictured here.

I'm not partial to these roos, but thought they're awfully pretty to pot and figured I'd better check first. Thanks so much for the quick replies!

We got them from someone who was re-homing their flock due to life events. It was a very eclectic mix of birds, and she said there were no barnyard mixes because she ordered fertilized eggs from either hatcheries or heritage breeders for her broody hens to hatch. I know among the flock we have speckled sussex, faverolles, sulmtaler, breda, cochin, etc. that aren't pictured here.

I'm not partial to these roos, but thought they're awfully pretty to pot and figured I'd better check first. Thanks so much for the quick replies!

They are all mixes, unfortunately. I thought the last one could be a Leghorn but he has muffs/fluffy cheeks. I think the lady either hatched eggs from her own flock by accident or had the wool pulled over her eyes with the eggs she bought.

Are you sure the barred/cuckoo one is a cockerel? Looks like a little pullet to me.

I think you're right about it probably being a pullet. I wasn't sure, and I'm not good at telling by their feathers when they're uniform, but we had put it in there because she sure was acting like the selfish roos with the food! But then maybe she'll earn her keep in eggs later :) I'll let her back out into gen. pop.!

They're pretty birds, but they're lousy hen-keepers! They peck the hens away from the feed and essentially bogart any food they come across. I have plenty of roosters in our flock as it is
Hi there, Welcome to BYC! :frow

Those look like pot worthy cockerels to me. :drool

They aren't roosters yet according to the size of their spurs and maturity will have heavy impact on how they treat the ladies. But if you have plenty who are acceptable... why add extra load to yourself, your land, and your flock. ;)

I agree with others in that they don't appear to fit any breed standard that I'm aware of and selling/rehoming would not likely be a quick resolution, but I still try sometimes. Just about every boy that does go in the pot is beautiful. :love It takes $10 to take rooster off my table.. the cost of 1 nights meat essentially.. unless I particularly like a bird (or person, or didn't have the time/energy/skill/ freezer space to process) then they might go to a free home. Or if it's a proven temperament rooster or breeding quality breeds I work with and worked hard to get... might take more than $30... IF I even want my genetics out there. :oops:

Both of my LFS (local feed stores) will give store credit or cash IF they have the space at that time for more boys. (see following link for other abbreviations used often)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/byc-index-of-abbreviations-acronyms.63285/

I wasn't sure, and I'm not good at telling by their feathers when they're uniform,
I can't make out her saddle feathers, but agree pullet... in barred birds the boys get a double copy of the barring gene giving their bars more white than black. If you can make out the area, here is a good example from google images of the differences between genders... usually showing good by 12-16 weeks in most breeds...

It's always fun to play the breed/gender game. Sorry I wasn't much help. Do what you think will work best for you and if it doesn't, switch it up. :cool:

Best wishes on your chicken adventures! :wee

Back
Top Bottom