New Ducks.........new pics in the big yard

No, these are the most terrified, least friendly ducks ever. I am thinking I need to build a small temporary fence around the kiddie pool as I can't get within 20 feet of them out in the yard without the flock starting to go in the opposite direction. Hard to tame them down when you can't get close! I don't want to be able to hold them....just to be able to walk near them without a panic or even to have them come to me. I need to get them penned up a bit and then sit in there for a couple hours with food.

New project. Siiiiiiiigh.

Nella, the ducks are beautiful. I have 3 little runner girls I got from Iamcuriosity cat about 2 weeks ago. 2 were hatched in a classroom so were already friendly and the 3rd followed the other 2's lead and so all are decently friendly guys, they spook easy cause the bigger guys they are with (magpies and buffs) aren't all that friendly and so when they spook the runners do too - lol. But I feed all my ducks 3 seperate times a day and then treat time - and they come up to the back door, know the feed bucket (red foldgers coffee can - lol) and they all quack up a storm and wait non too patiently for me to come back from the shed to get the food. I feet them in the same place every day and I sit down and put the food out right in front of me and have a big water dish by where I sit. This makes them be near me to eat - and i can catch them if its the bigger ones or rub the little runners - well not so little they are like 6.5 - 7 weeks old abouts.
wink.png
but anyway this is worknig out well even for the unfriendly big ones, they want that food and they will deal with me within reaching distance and even petting them if it means they get food and then especially their peas and veggies in the evening. I will sit on a rock or the ground, and the runners will eat out of my hands or out of a bowl in my lap so the big ones won't steal their food.

I feed them 3 small meals + big treat time (so technically 4 times) a day for 2 reasons :

1.) They don't pork themselves in this heat and get over heated by all the food at once
2.) It means they are hungry and choose to come down to tell me its food time and I have 3-4 times a day I can sit out with them and socialize with them. Most of the time when ducks free-range they get wild-ish and you don't or can't handle them much so they aren't friendly...But this allows me to be guaranteed 3-4 times a day to have them WANT my attention cause they want food and choose to deal with me to have their guts filled
wink.png

Good luck!

Well, I had a really rough day and the anti-social ducks were just the cherry on top
sad.png
Decided to go ahead and sell all the runners (all girls) and keep the Welsh Harlequin and hope they calm down. Maybe next year I will get a couple and just make them stay in the house the first month and be held 24/7.

Anyone want a 5-6 week old female runner, decent quality....2 blues, 2 chocolates, 2 fawn/white and 2 blacks are all available. East Tennessee!

tongue.png

I think I'm about to get me another runner this week
hmm.png
If I was heading west towards you again like I did last 4th I would take a few runners and porcelain d'uccles
tongue.png
but too bad I didn't have the money for the road trip to Memphis this year. :sigh: - lol

Anyway - goodluck on selling them. It just takes time and any runner or even other breeds of ducks go through the teenage terror stage where they are terrified of everything for a few weeks. but again - goodluck selling them - they are gorgeous.

I love the Runners and have Fawn & White, Black, Chocolate, and White myself. Let me talk to Steven, Janelle. I know he'll probably freak but it can't hurt to ask. LOL We did just sell 14 ducks.

And I make good money selling Runner eggs on Ebay, too.

Laurie

Laurie, if you want to buy them I'll even toss in a pair of bantam white cochins, LOL. I know you have been looking for them
wink.png
I have a pair I got from TSC......thought they were both girls. Now one is really looking rooish. So I guess I have a pair!

The ducks today in their makeshift pen. It is about 80 feet of temporary fencing and temporary fence panels.....it loops around the platform that has the kiddie pool and keeps them right up behind the house. Duck taming will be a bit easier this way.

downsized_0630000735a.jpg

downsized_0630000735.jpg

A couple chickens flew over to eat breakfast with them.

they are still for sale, but I figure I might as well work on taming them while I still have them. They did finally notice their kiddie pool this morning....they weren't in it yet, but were at least drinking out of it and sloshing their bills in there.

The way it is set up, I would guess the pen is over 30x30, so they have probably at least 1000 sq feet. Plenty big for the 12 of them and their pool. I have a deck chair in there I can sit in to toss food too.

NellaBean - I found out that the larger number of ducks, the less they need contact with you. I have 11 and they have each other so they do not think they need me at all except to fill the feeder and clean their pool. hahahaha Your three should warm up just keep handling them.

Well I found someone for the Runners and they are leaving 8/21. That leaves the Welsh Harlequin....

24277_downsized_0710000849.jpg

1 drake and 3 ducks.....I was going to keep them, but I think I will sell them as well and just try again next year. My youngest dog has found out how fun it is to chase a flock of ducks......so I think she needs some maturing time before we try again.

I am trying to downsize. Anyone need a breeding flock of Welsh Harlequin?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom