New to the board and love my chickens!

charstuff

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 24, 2012
California
Hello! We got our first chicks in March, 2 Ameraucana, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Black Asustralorp, 2 (what we were told at the time now not sure?) Golden Laced Wyandottes, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Light Brahma, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Welsummer, 1 Black Silkie all hens and 1 Mille Fleur Rooster (he is just so cute!) They are all lovely and we just love them, for the most part they are free range during the day and are locked in their coop at night (for preditor reasons). We love them and are having such a great time with them. I'm glad I found this board, I have so many questions and will love hearing the answers.
jumpy.gif

One of my first questions is what kind of chicken am I? I posted a few pictures. When we got them as 5 day old chicks we were told 2 were Golden Laced Wyandottes but now we aren't sure?

I'm so happy I found this board and can talk chicken lol, most of my friends think I'm crazy but when they sit down and I give them some food to feed my chickens we can sit and be entertained. Never thought how much fun raising chickens could be. First came the coop:

Home for our chickens, my husband built this chicken tractor/trailer.

:welcome

Welcome! Your coop is really cool! Your husband is very good at building coops! Hope to see you around in the forum! Enjoy your chickens!!! :D

We first decided on 12 chickens then decided on what kind so we ended up getting 2 Ameraucana, 2 Black Australorp, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes (not sure what they are now?) 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Light Brahma, and 2 Rhode Island Reds. We got them when they were 4 days old and kept them in a box in our house. They were so cute to watch and who knew that even at that young age they act like big chickens, scratching and pecking. . . . funnest thing was when we would drop a worm in and watch them run around with it peeping loudly and being chased by the others. Then came my o so cute roo he was given to me because I loved him so much at first sight he is a handsome Mille Fleur and such a gentleman, the gals take food out of his mouth. (no I don't have plans to raise chicks) but I have lots and lots of questions.

Then about a month later I acquired a wonded Welsummer (long story) poor lil thing was being picked on (not by my chickens) and I didn't think she would make it. But she did and she was too young to put in with my chickens so I wanted to get her a lil sister, ended up with a Buff Orpington and a lil Black Silikie (so cute!)

who knew such lil babies would roost and not fall off while sleeping

got scared thought they were dead! no they were just sleeping

my handsome guy

This is Lucky you can see some of the wonds but she made it!

Someone said trying to take pictures of chickens is like trying to herd cats!

This is Lucky now

Am I a roo?

They look like nice healthy chickens! Your "Ameraucanas" are really Easter Eggers-I have both and love them both, though mine are getting older now. Are they laying yet?

VERY nice tractor coop!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom