Well I got a text today!
Dory finally did it!!!View attachment 1411101
Yayyyyy!!! Congrats! She looks so happy.

My kids keep asking about Steve. I *want* to text the guy and ask how he's doing, but 1. I don't want to appear crazy. 2. I'm afraid that he's gone & the guy won't have the sense to lie to me about it.

Loki stole another egg yesterday. I'm hoping that she's just trying to hoard and that it doesn't mean #1 isn't developing anymore. She's got another week to go. Yesterday she was panting. I gave her some watermelon, but she didn't eat it. Hopefully she did later.
0530181852.jpg

I just got a call from the post office 45 minutes ago. My chicks are on their way up to my local hub. They shipped them less than 36 hours ago. I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Oh, and I had two chicks hatch yesterday. One is an oops chick. I noticed after it hatched that it had a single comb. I was supposed to be hatching Dark Cornish, which have a pea comb. Another one of my mixed flock eggs got into my hatching eggs. I think it is a Buff cross. As the chick is yellow/red with yellow feet. Options for mom are Delaware or New Hampshire, I think. It could be from Chicken Surprise too (Buff/New Hamp). We'll have to wait and see. I'm also going to go back to starting my eggs in the Brinsea. I'm getting abysmal hatch rates starting in the Franken-bator.
IMG_7899.JPG

Here is the Dark Cornish chick.
IMG_7901.JPG

I'll tell you what, NutriDrench never ceases to amaze me. Right after I took the picture above, I dosed the Cornish chick with NutriDrench and put it back. I then dosed Oopsie Chick as well and as I was putting Oopsie back I saw the Cornish went from sitting back on its hocks to standing and walking.
IMG_7904.JPG

You guys with Silkies (or weirdo chickens in general, lol) I have a question.

Have any of your Silkies started molting at about a year old? I read chickens don't molt until about 18 months, but Phoebe Buffay, my buff girl, has some funky thing going on with her feathers. SHe is about 13 months old.

Her normal yellow color is getting bleached out looking and patchy...she has these little pinfeathers? (I think they're called) growing on her neck, like little needles. And she just generally looks skanky and mangy. I don't think she is laying but I'm not sure. She definitely doesn't have any external parasites, I gave her a good going over.

At what age have your Silkies (or other chooks) gone into their first molt? Thanks in advance! I still feel like such a noob, at times.

You guys with Silkies (or weirdo chickens in general, lol) I have a question.

Have any of your Silkies started molting at about a year old? I read chickens don't molt until about 18 months, but Phoebe Buffay, my buff girl, has some funky thing going on with her feathers. SHe is about 13 months old.

Her normal yellow color is getting bleached out looking and patchy...she has these little pinfeathers? (I think they're called) growing on her neck, like little needles. And she just generally looks skanky and mangy. I don't think she is laying but I'm not sure. She definitely doesn't have any external parasites, I gave her a good going over.

At what age have your Silkies (or other chooks) gone into their first molt? Thanks in advance! I still feel like such a noob, at times.
Yup. Sounds like a mini molt. Mine did that before 18 months also.

Yayyyyy!!! Congrats! She looks so happy.

My kids keep asking about Steve. I *want* to text the guy and ask how he's doing, but 1. I don't want to appear crazy. 2. I'm afraid that he's gone & the guy won't have the sense to lie to me about it.

Loki stole another egg yesterday. I'm hoping that she's just trying to hoard and that it doesn't mean #1 isn't developing anymore. She's got another week to go. Yesterday she was panting. I gave her some watermelon, but she didn't eat it. Hopefully she did later.View attachment 1411482
EXACTLY why I didn’t reach out to the librarian !
And Loki is a pretty girl!

@pitbullmomma I swear my bantam Cochin went through a little mini molt before she was one. I thought it might have been from when I brought her home...a little stress. But I asked here on BYC and several others said they thought they had young ones molting.
@apryl29 Lila is still sitting. I asked her if she was convection cooking her eggs. With this heat they might hatch early to escape the heat. Gonna do a final candle tonight and I should have little fluffy butts this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom