I hope you are all ready for pictures.
A lot of them look really similar, hope I got them all. Lol
Batch one. (dark chicks)
View attachment 2290199View attachment 2290201View attachment 2290204View attachment 2290211
Batch two. (light chicks)
View attachment 2290203View attachment 2290206View attachment 2290202

Are these really the same? Lol
View attachment 2290200View attachment 2290205

The mystery one.
Any ideas?
View attachment 2290207View attachment 2290210View attachment 2290212View attachment 2290209

Last I dropped my phone and went to pic it up and it snapped a pic. This is what my chicks see when I reach in for them lol. No wonder they get scared lol. View attachment 2290208
They are all cute! The grabbing hand is very frightening!

They are so cute!
Those fuzzy little feet just get me. ❤
The hand from the sky is pretty terrifying but when they see all of you from day 1 they lose the fear of hands, feet everything cute but nerve wracking.
I could use some sky hand terror sometimes, they just eat my fingers.😄

I hope you are all ready for pictures.
A lot of them look really similar, hope I got them all. Lol
Batch one. (dark chicks)
View attachment 2290199View attachment 2290201View attachment 2290204View attachment 2290211
Batch two. (light chicks)
View attachment 2290203View attachment 2290206View attachment 2290202

Are these really the same? Lol
View attachment 2290200View attachment 2290205

The mystery one.
Any ideas?
View attachment 2290207View attachment 2290210View attachment 2290212View attachment 2290209

Last I dropped my phone and went to pic it up and it snapped a pic. This is what my chicks see when I reach in for them lol. No wonder they get scared lol. View attachment 2290208

They are so cute!
Those fuzzy little feet just get me. ❤
The hand from the sky is pretty terrifying but when they see all of you from day 1 they lose the fear of hands, feet everything cute but nerve wracking.
I could use some sky hand terror sometimes, they just eat my fingers.😄
I have two that attack my fingers. I'm 90% sure they are roos. Lol

Good evening everyone, I just got home from work and was checking on the chicks. I moved the two that hatch this morning out of the incubator and into the brooder. I have a few more eggs that have yet to hatch but I did hear a little bit of cheeping from them so they might hatch tonight.

So two things. First I've got to work on the water in the morning. I had a block of wood I was supporting it with before but it had got nasty and I threw it away before I set up the bruder for this bunch. looks like I'm going to have to cut another because I cannot keep it from leaking out into the shavings.

Now the more exciting news. As I mentioned before I had one more of the MFDs hatch and the mystery egg that I was sent. But right now I'm actually confused as to which is which. Lol

The mystery egg was slightly larger than the rest of the eggs so I am assuming that it would have been the bigger of the two chicks. The said both of the chicks that hatched look completely different than the other four that hatched out of the last set. Ore is much lighter and the other has some slight chipmunking. (Is that a word?)
Anyway because the mystery egg was larger I am assuming that the smaller lighter-colored one is the MFD.
I'll post more and better pictures tomorrow (hopefully I don't have another water loss tonight as last time I promise that it happened lol)
But maybe you all can help me speculate on what it might be. Right now it appears to be a feather footed variety and the beacon comb is a little bit lighter than the other chicks as well as the light chipmunk striping. It's a bantam of some kind I know and feather footed. Other than that I don't have a clue.
You can see the two new additions here standing together.
View attachment 2289549
I use the bottom portion of a chick feeder turned upside down under their waterer. Its the same size as the bottom of the waterer and gives just enough height that they get fewer shaving in it but can still drink out of it.

Our out of state visitors have departed for the very very long drive home. While we knew they couldn't stay forever the leaving is rather sad.

At 11 last night hubs boss called. His wife had slid out of the (padded) kitchen chair and was unable to get up. The boss is in a wheelchair due to having broken his ankle etc. I went with to help her. Things are not good. Not good at all. She is a tiny woman but is struggling badly. She has extreme swelling in both legs and looks like she is in a lot of pain.....pain from more than just the Edema. She broke down when I gave her a hug and urged her to call the doctor. I got the distinct reading that she has no emotional or physical support. She said through tears that everyone is always angry at her and she can't do anything right and that there is to much fighting.
I don't know how to help her. I know her husband and one of her sons are constantly fighting. I know they get loud every time too. She has no break from it with being stuck at home these days.
I think they need a home health aid. I am worried about her.
So sad. Hopefully they can get someone to come in and help. If not I wonder if a call to elder care for a wellness check would yield some results.

As for a edema goes... my mom has had lympodemea for years. More then I can remember. There are ways you can wrap extremities that keep the fluid from pooling. Those boots they put on you in the hospital do work but you have to have compression to keep the fluid out.

That's interesting. I am severely allergic to cats but loved having been when I was little. I wonder if I could have a Bengal cat? I wonder how I can find out, do you know?
Visit a breeder and rub your nose in some cat fur. That is what I did. You could then look for rescues once you know if you react to them.
Parrots create a lot of dust, it is their waterproofing. An exhaust fan in a window works the best I have found. We put one in the "She Shed" brooder, helps keep the dust from being too bad!
Glad my brooders are outside this year.
I have two that attack my fingers. I'm 90% sure they are roos. Lol
That has always been a tell for me.

Visit a breeder and rub your nose in some cat fur. That is what I did. You could then look for rescues once you know if you react to them.

Glad my brooders are outside this year.

That has always been a tell for me.
The biggest, hungriest, "friendliest" are the roosters. These Barred Hollands are sure easy to tell, just as easy as the Brown Leghorns I used to have.
IMG_4877.JPG

I use the bottom portion of a chick feeder turned upside down under their waterer. Its the same size as the bottom of the waterer and gives just enough height that they get fewer shaving in it but can still drink out of it.

So sad. Hopefully they can get someone to come in and help. If not I wonder if a call to elder care for a wellness check would yield some results.

As for a edema goes... my mom has had lympodemea for years. More then I can remember. There are ways you can wrap extremities that keep the fluid from pooling. Those boots they put on you in the hospital do work but you have to have compression to keep the fluid out.

I think I need tread carefully since it is hubs boss's wife. I definitely don't need to cause issues there.
I think I will try and get hubs to go with on a drop in visit tomorrow. Maybe I can talk to her when she isn't tired, scared, traumatized and encourage her to see about compression socks and a home aid/nurse.

I think I need tread carefully since it is hubs boss's wife. I definitely don't need to cause issues there.
I think I will try and get hubs to go with on a drop in visit tomorrow. Maybe I can talk to her when she isn't tired, scared, traumatized and encourage her to see about compression socks and a home aid/nurse.
Great idea. Best wishes from here. Been there with plenty of older relatives, and a couple of neighbors in the over 55 mobile home park. (Way over 55)!

Sad news.
I ended up rescuing the one chick that had been almost two days trying to hatch. The membrane add dried somewhat and it was too hard for it to tear but it is doing good now!

Unfortunately the seven other eggs did not make it. We had a power outage about 3 days ago and most look like they stopped then. there was one other that was completely ready and the yolk sac completely absorbed but for some reason he was facing backwards in the egg and did not make it.
Grand total 8 with 7 of the MFDs.

Back
Top Bottom