Hey..I don't know you..yet...but Happy belated birthday! Hope it was good, even through the cold! We're pretty cold here too all of a sudden. If it had just creeped up on us, but no. Aug. was a month of record breaking heat... September was in the 80's, then we got a few 70's in the first part of this month, then bam! It's been below freezing for about a week. Down to 12 degrees. Thinking Ohio is probably colder. But this is cold to us for now. We do get into the negatives during the winter. I'm not using heat on my chickens this year. Hope they do ok. 😳.

Good afternoon Cynthia 🙂 have a great day

Hey..I don't know you..yet...but Happy belated birthday! Hope it was good, even through the cold! We're pretty cold here too all of a sudden. If it had just creeped up on us, but no. Aug. was a month of record breaking heat... September was in the 80's, then we got a few 70's in the first part of this month, then bam! It's been below freezing for about a week. Down to 12 degrees. Thinking Ohio is probably colder. But this is cold to us for now. We do get into the negatives during the winter. I'm not using heat on my chickens this year. Hope they do ok. 😳.
That’s very kind of you, but it’s not my bday until Dec. Why do you think you missed it?
From what I hear, your chickens should be fine as long as you dont have any drafts. I’m just repeating what I hear though. I just got mine.

I have had chickens for MANY years. They are better off if we let them build their down coat and keep themselves warm.
We have spent a lot of winters with birds....a few memorable times I can share.....

Lows in the negative 20 range, 30+ birds in a metal barn (yes an actual barn) daytime highs of negative 4 and power was out for 10 days. I lost ONE bantam in that. She went broody and even though I put her on the roost between 2 great big fluffy hens had gone back to her nest. Penny was a Japanese Black Tail. Bringing her in the house would have done no good. I had to rent a hotel room due to young kids needing heat.

Several years ago we hit negative 16 at night with daytime highs in the single digits (this is after I moved to town). A week of horrid temps with a leghorn in heavy molt. Everyone was fine....even my naked leghorn. She did get a tiny touch of frostbite on her comb but then that is pretty common with those big combed breeds.

While we humans are quite sensitive to the cold the birds wear a nice coat year round.

Just keep an eye on them for anyone looking stressed. The young and old are most likely to experience issues.

I have had chickens for MANY years. They are better off if we let them build their down coat and keep themselves warm.
We have spent a lot of winters with birds....a few memorable times I can share.....

Lows in the negative 20 range, 30+ birds in a metal barn (yes an actual barn) daytime highs of negative 4 and power was out for 10 days. I lost ONE bantam in that. She went broody and even though I put her on the roost between 2 great big fluffy hens had gone back to her nest. Penny was a Japanese Black Tail. Bringing her in the house would have done no good. I had to rent a hotel room due to young kids needing heat.

Several years ago we hit negative 16 at night with daytime highs in the single digits (this is after I moved to town). A week of horrid temps with a leghorn in heavy molt. Everyone was fine....even my naked leghorn. She did get a tiny touch of frostbite on her comb but then that is pretty common with those big combed breeds.

While we humans are quite sensitive to the cold the birds wear a nice coat year round.

Just keep an eye on them for anyone looking stressed. The young and old are most likely to experience issues.
All of mine were born this spring. Thanks, good stories to remember when we get more cold. We're neighbors, I'm in Utah. I only have three. I usually have a leghorn..not this year. Yep, I've seen some poor ol combs with frostbite.

That’s very kind of you, but it’s not my bday until Dec. Why do you think you missed it?
From what I hear, your chickens should be fine as long as you dont have any drafts. I’m just repeating what I hear though. I just got mine.
What??!! lol..lol...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Oh boy, I swear someone just had a birthday. Speak up...who is it?

Back
Top Bottom