Yes to more baby pics!

Had a bit of a scare this evening. DH and I were both working in the garden and had the chickies out free ranging around us. Heard a noise, looked up, and saw THREE big hawks hovering over our yard. Needless to say we got the flock put away fast!!! Not a minute after the door closed behind them, though, one of the hawks flew real low right through the yard. Not sure when the next free range session will be. Maybe not for quite awhile :(

I find myself wondering what breeds Nunny and Rae hatched and what breeds Cappy got suckered into.....

:pop:pop:pop

Not fair to hatch or buy and not tell us what breeds. Not fair at all.
ATM only hatching Cornish. Looks like I only got Darks this time. No jubilees. I have 5 guinea eggs due next week as well as more Cornish eggs. I stuck a few EE eggs in the last two weeks. I’m curious to see if my pen hoppers have been jumped by a Cornish or my parent’s free ranging NH rooster.

@Molpet since I now have 31 Cornish babies on the ground and 50ish eggs in the incubators, I think I’ll mail you eggs soon. Do you want fewer eggs Monday (probably 18 or less) or closer to 3 doz or more if I wait until next Monday to mail?

Yes to more baby pics!

Had a bit of a scare this evening. DH and I were both working in the garden and had the chickies out free ranging around us. Heard a noise, looked up, and saw THREE big hawks hovering over our yard. Needless to say we got the flock put away fast!!! Not a minute after the door closed behind them, though, one of the hawks flew real low right through the yard. Not sure when the next free range session will be. Maybe not for quite awhile :(

Definitely get them trained to a specific treat container!
I use a bright yellow feed scoop. They see that scoop and come a runnin.

Freaking hawks!!!! :rant:barnie:mad:

ATM only hatching Cornish. Looks like I only got Darks this time. No jubilees. I have 5 guinea eggs due next week as well as more Cornish eggs. I stuck a few EE eggs in the last two weeks. I’m curious to see if my pen hoppers have been jumped by a Cornish or my parent’s free ranging NH rooster.

@Molpet since I now have 31 Cornish babies on the ground and 50ish eggs in the incubators, I think I’ll mail you eggs soon. Do you want fewer eggs Monday (probably 18 or less) or closer to 3 doz or more if I wait until next Monday to mail?
Around 18 is good :ya :love

Definitely get them trained to a specific treat container!
I use a bright yellow feed scoop. They see that scoop and come a runnin.

Freaking hawks!!!! :rant:barnie:mad:
Hawks are the worst!!!

Yeah, I really need to work on food motivation.

Funny fact, we have been herding them like sheep 🤣
They all clump together when nervous and humans make them nervous soooo DH stands on one flank, I stand on the other and we walk them to their run door. Then they all run inside to escape us. We are champion sheepdogs!

Last edited:

Mo is gonna hatch fat legged babies! :wee

I find myself wondering what breeds Nunny and Rae hatched and what breeds Cappy got suckered into.....

:pop:pop:pop

Not fair to hatch or buy and not tell us what breeds. Not fair at all.
The first 20 are Leghorn pullets. The next 10 are hatchery Ameraucana, so EEs. Fat fluffy faces! Maybe pictures tomorrow if not raining.

Hawks are the worst!!!

Yeah, I really need to work on food motivation.

Funny fact, we have been herding them like sheep 🤣
They all clump together when nervous and humans make them nervous soooo DH stands on one flank, I stand on the other and we walk them to their run door. Then they all run inside to escape us. We are champion sheepdogs!
I go to the brooder with cooked egg and say Chickie chickie! They all run over and start eating out of my hand.

I go to the brooder with cooked egg and say Chickie chickie! They all run over and start eating out of my hand.

Mine are so goofy when I go out to the coop. They know I might have treats and they really like treats. But they also suspect I might be an axe murderer. You can just see the indecision on their faces as they try decide if treats are worth the risk of possible death :gig
Spoiler: the answer is yes. But it is a process.

Back
Top Bottom