Sorry for your loss. For those of you with inconsiderate spouses/children, I'm sorry. Years ago, Marsha Warfield was being interviewed on a talk show. It was her mother's birthday, and the host commented that Marsha's mother was styling her new leather outfit that she'd gotten as a birthday present, and how nice it was of Marsha to have gotten it for her.

Marsha explained that her mother expected her children, even at a young age, to give her birthday, and Christmas gifts. She worked outside the home, and gave her children an allowance, along with working in the house cooking, cleaning, etc. While a personally made card, or gift was fine, it had to be accompanied with a store bought gift too. Since she spend her time, and effort providing all she did for her children, they could show their love, and respect by learning to budget some of their allowance for a real gift for her on her birthday, and on Christmas.

At first, I was a bit taken aback when I heard this. After giving it some thought, I had to agree with the mom. More parents should enforce their kids being more considerate of them. Not all of us got an allowance. Homemade cards, and gifts should be acceptable in that situation. At least enforce some showing of love, and respect. As to it not being something that the child wants to do, this is the opportunity to remind them that mom doesn't always want to clean up, cook, go to work etc., but does it for them, even when she doesn't want to. Sometimes people must do things they don't want to. That's life.

Back
Top Bottom