Old Age or Sickness? Please Help !!

Wheelburd

Hatching
Feb 2, 2020
Hi, I own an almost 4 year old Snowflake Bobwhite Quail who has lived indoors her entire life. She lives in a guinea pig cage and has free range of the floor and usually hanging with people on the couch.
Recently she has lost weight, I still see her eating food (pellets, along with seeds and she also has grit/oyster shells) and she is drinking more frequently. In recent events she’s developed a pasty vent (poop clinging to her vent), and is constantly poofed up. All of these lead me to sickness but I don’t know what. She is breathing properly, she doesn’t sound congested and no sign of mucus.
For now I’m keeping her vent clean by using warm water and a paper towel mostly and trying to keep her energy up with more fruits and greens (since she still avidly eats them).
I’m sorry this is long but I worry for her. I’m a college student and there’s no nearby avian vet, the closest being 3 hours away and when I called they’d never dealt with a quail before.
She’s well loved and cared for and I very much would like to know if she’s dying of old age or if this is something I can cure.

- Thank you

:welcome sorry for the circumstances that have brought you here. I think that is rather old for a Bobwhite. My gut is that she is showing her age.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances that have brought you here. I think that is rather old for a Bobwhite. My gut is that she is showing her age.
Thank you, I just need opinions of people who know more than me. I’ve raised birds a long long time but she’s my first quail.

Back
Top Bottom