Pigeon Talk

I'm not totally sure what it is, but from what I understand about PMV, that sounds like a possibility.

Thanks all. So, how would it have contracted it? I don't have any other pigeons and it's never been outside since I got them.

IDK, but it is present in wild dove species and the virus can survive several hours on clothes or shoes or other surfaces. That seems very unlikely in your case so I just don't know:confused:.

I think contracting it from wild doves is distinctly possible. As you can see in the photos below, they do occasionally fraternize with my pigeons. West Nile is not uncommon where I live in the Great Lakes region.

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

I think contracting it from wild doves is distinctly possible. As you can see in the photos below, they do occasionally fraternize with my pigeons. West Nile is not uncommon where I live in the Great Lakes region.

Do you think I could have somehow brought it to them from wild doves? They haven't been outside at all since I got them, and I don't actually walk in their area (they're in a temp pen inside my workshop right now) and I wasn't directly handling them, either. Just changing bedding and filling feeders and waterers.

What are West Nile symptoms like in pigeons?

I bet they would reply if you wanted to buy more!
I've got a call in to my vet and I'll be picking up some enrofloxacin, in case it's paratyphoid, along with some meloxicam in case he's in any discomfort. So far so good - he's eating well, so I'm not gonna tube feed just yet, and he's drinking well. The water is mixed with a good bit of Nutri-Drench too.

I haven't seen him yet today with his head tucked under his body like it was last night, so that's good.

I also decided to send a message to the breeder. All I said was that one of the pigeons has torticollis, do you know what might be causing it? Waiting to see if I get a reply.

I bet they would reply if you wanted to buy more!

She replied only to say she's never had a bird with torticollis so she doesn't know what could be causing it. If that's true, then I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed it was some kind of freak injury. I actually had that happen with a silkie chick once, and it was okay in a couple days.

I've got a call in to my vet and I'll be picking up some enrofloxacin, in case it's paratyphoid, along with some meloxicam in case he's in any discomfort. So far so good - he's eating well, so I'm not gonna tube feed just yet, and he's drinking well. The water is mixed with a good bit of Nutri-Drench too.

I haven't seen him yet today with his head tucked under his body like it was last night, so that's good.

I also decided to send a message to the breeder. All I said was that one of the pigeons has torticollis, do you know what might be causing it? Waiting to see if I get a reply.
:caf

That sounds very promising! I hope the breeder you got them from is a decent person. If they do have something going around there birds then hopefully they will take a little responsibility for it. Especially when $'s ain't cheap.

Do you think I could have somehow brought it to them from wild doves? They haven't been outside at all since I got them, and I don't actually walk in their area (they're in a temp pen inside my workshop right now) and I wasn't directly handling them, either. Just changing bedding and filling feeders and waterers.

What are West Nile symptoms like in pigeons?

I honestly have no idea, but as you can see wild doves at a bare minimum can land on your loft, and presumably poop on areas exposed to your birds. I think the fact that you don't let them out greatly reduces risk from wild birds though.]

Maybe a better thing to wonder is what, if any, pathogens pigeons can be born with, transmitted from parents. As an example, some diseases can be dormant as a carrier, and only present in offspring if both parents are carriers.

That sounds very promising! I hope the breeder you got them from is a decent person. If they do have something going around there birds then hopefully they will take a little responsibility for it. Especially when $'s ain't cheap.
Some breeders are really nice and refund their birds. I remember when I bought a pair of parlor rollers from a guy. One died really soon after I got them (this was before I quarantined...) and he replaced it immediately. Eventually the replacement died, too. The last was taken by a predator when a sibling opened the door to their pen. I think that my birds got his birds, which were stressed by the move, sick. The stress makes their immune systems vulnerable to disease. I will always be sorry I didn't quarantine them. Pyxis, I hope you find out what's wrong with him/her. Birds are so hard to diagnose.

Back
Top Bottom