Possible leg problems?

Taj_MaChicken

Songster
May 26, 2019
NW Kentucky
We just took in this duckling (about 4 weeks), and I knew they weren't giving it the extra niacin it needed. We bought a supplement, and at least I see it standing more (it laid around a lot). It doesn't seem to have any problems swimming.

It steps on its own feet when it tries walking. Is this something it might grow out of, or am I going to need to try and correct it with some taped up contraption?

Thanks!

When they already have problems like that they need the liquid b complex 1 ml straight over something yummy just enough they will eat the treat right up. You can fashion shoes to keep the feet in proper alignment poultry pedia gives info. No swimming when shoes are on but water therapy is very important too. Can you post some pics of how this little one stands an maybe a video of it walking. You’ll have to put the video on you tube or viemo copy an paste here.

If you can see how she's standing with her feet crossed. I'll try to get a video later.
20190618_065823.jpg

Hopefully giving swim time and b complex liquid will strengthen those legs right up. Even if it’s always slightly pigeoned toed which doesn’t look bad now the little one should get around fine. Since it’s a Rouen you def want to address any leg problems it’s going to be on the heavy side. Very pretty.

Hopefully giving swim time and b complex liquid will strengthen those legs right up. Even if it’s always slightly pigeoned toed which doesn’t look bad now the little one should get around fine. Since it’s a Rouen you def want to address any leg problems it’s going to be on the heavy side. Very pretty.
Thanks! We've been doing nightly swims in the bathtub and we're trying to locate a kiddie pool that isn't blowup lol but I was really concerned when we put her in the brooder and she wouldn't walk to food or water... I had to put the bowl where she could reach it when she laid down. But now she's up and walking but tripping over herself.

It's a shame people don't catch things like this right off or start with Nutritional yeast or other niacin supplement as soon as hatch or pick them up these things can be avoided so easy. Shaky leg, bowed legs, pigeon toed all from niacin deficiency and can be avoided. Most of us can't buy water fowl specific feed because we can't find it or have mixed flocks. But All flock feed is one of the best for supplying what our water fowl babies need but even then we can end up with one that can have a leg or neurological issue. Even though your new little one is having some issues I really think you got it a a good time where it can be fixed.

It's a shame people don't catch things like this right off or start with Nutritional yeast or other niacin supplement as soon as hatch or pick them up these things can be avoided so easy. Shaky leg, bowed legs, pigeon toed all from niacin deficiency and can be avoided. Most of us can't buy water fowl specific feed because we can't find it or have mixed flocks. But All flock feed is one of the best for supplying what our water fowl babies need but even then we can end up with one that can have a leg or neurological issue. Even though your new little one is having some issues I really think you got it a a good time where it can be fixed.
I really think the person who got them just thought "oh these are cute" and brought them home :rantpeople need to research, be prepared. I didn't know about ducklings, but I have chickens and this wonderful community so I didn't feel completely lost or like I was doing more harm than good.

UPDATE:

Got a kiddie pool, let her outside, and she swam a good while. I kind of "chased" her around the yard, and she seems to walk better if she goes faster, otherwise she's just tripping over her own feet.

No chasing getting ducks to run is not good for their legs. I mean it’s up to you but it really can be detrimental their legs aren’t that strong to begin with. Normal exercise but especially swimming is the best therapy.

Back
Top Bottom