Post your old Pictures of your family- Pictoral Genealogy

My dad's family settled in the Applachian (I hope I spelled that right) Mt regions of PA. They were coal miners and very poor. My grandfather died from diabetes because they couldn't afford insulin and they ran out of peaches. My dad and his brothers didn't want to work in the mines so they came here to Ohio and worked in the auto industry. Dad met Mom at church. He got dragged there by his brother and his wife who he was living with at the time. Proposed to Mom on their second date and they've been married for almost 46 years. This is awesome; thanks for letting me share.

Quote:
Wow! Not too far from me. My dads family are all from the southern part of the state,Raleigh,Summers, and Mercer counties. My moms family is from Roane and Calhoun county. My family didnt have too many coal miners, more oil field workers up in Roane and Calhoun, the rest, farmers. My DH's family is from the coalfields,Logan county.

Quote:
Great story, thanks for sharing, I love family history!!! My GGdad hated mining and went to work for the Natural Gas Plant in 1946, I think. He and mamaw were married 77 years!

WOW
ep.gif
77 years is definitely something to be proud of!!!!

bow.gif

we have boxes of old photos..i will dig them out and put some on here..my only fear is when i scan them...my cheapo scanner always seems to snag and crinkle whatever i run through it..
hmm.png
... here are 2 that i had in my computer already...

Here is my father (in the Navy uniform), with his brother..and their grandparents who were from England ( and i am lucky enough to remember both my great grandparents very clearly..), they had a big part in raising both boys, because my grandma (their mother) died of cancer when they were in their teens. thats why my father was in that Navy uniform....his mother had recently died and his dad was not very good..so he needed to have a roof over his head and learn to become a man...he remembers that he promised his mother on her death bed to finish his high school.(that was very important to her..)...then he went into the military.

DadandGrandparents.jpg

and my father and mother on their wedding day with my fathers grandparents again...

DadMomsweddingday.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
My parents hightailed it from here back in the 60's. They went to Ohio and we was up there for about 10 or 12 years. Dad worked in the auto industry. I was born there, Bay Village (don't tell no one) LOL! Anyway, we ended back here when I was about 5. I haven't left yet, and probably never will.

Have you ever realized how many sets of grandparents you have as you go back further in the generations?

start out with two sets of grandparents, then four, then eight, then sixteen, then thirty two, then sixty-four! This is just six generations!

Think how many people it took just to create you. Weird, huh??? (Oh, and good night!)

Last edited:
Wow!!! I had to leave and just now got back at almost 1 am. I can't believe the great photos and stories you guys have posted!! I think this is by far the best thread I have ever started. I really have to get a scanner and try to get the rest of my family pictures uploaded to the internet. I really love these pictures and this thread!!!
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom