Pics
We made a 3% salt brine and slice and add peppers as they ripen. Store in dark place at approximately 70* min 2 weeks. We will probably ferment for at least 3 weeks past adding last of peppers.
The yellow jar is mostly habanero with hotter peppers (ghost and reaper)
Red jar is milder peppers (tobasco, serrano, thai hot, and gong bao)
I’m trying to get mr muddy to do a green jar of poblano, jalapeño with maybe some tomatillo??????

We made a 3% salt brine and slice and add peppers as they ripen. Store in dark place at approximately 70* min 2 weeks. We will probably ferment for at least 3 weeks past adding last of peppers.
Last year we did dry fermentation……still 2-3% salt but directly vs brine solution.

I’m gonna get you fermenting!!!!! 😂
I have plenty of hot and sweet peppers ripe on the vibe. I need to pick them and do something with them, so hot sauce is likely and fermenting seems easy enough. I'm going to dry some of the hot peppers too, but there are plenty.

I have plenty of hot and sweet peppers ripe on the vibe. I need to pick them and do something with them, so hot sauce is likely and fermenting seems easy enough. I'm going to dry some of the hot peppers too, but there are plenty.
Like most things in life we learned to ferment from watching youtube :lau ChiliChump is one of the good Youtubers for hot sauce.

Sorry I haven’t responded - I think someone was asking about the cuke chips - I made two batches. I did not add the oil it called for, as the intent was for a diet snack … anyway, first batch turned out well. Second took forever to dry like a day?? Had someone else check them. They didn’t seem the same as the first. Right now both seem floppy and not crisp. My rule out is the weather. It’s been ridiculously humid and am guessing the chips just suck in the humidity as soon as they are out of the dehydrator. Plus the dehydrator had to combat the humidity to even work. My house is old and does not have central air or whatever, and the dehydrator is “outside” on a completely enclosed porch (it’s kind of like another room, sort of). I am thinking of putting the chips in the oven the next time I bake something in the oven to see if that crisps them up at all (very key point is remembering to do so!)

Hot sauce - I like the flavors but can’t take the heat. That said, I have a couple jalapeño plants that were supposed to be a mild variety… yeah, no. Also thinking this was impacted by the weather. Anyhoo, I have a lot of small jalapeños that went pretty quickly red. I was thinking of making hot sauce - I once in a while like Buffalo wings, or I’m sure I could find someone to eat it. I found a nice recipe online. My question is, I want to can it to be shelf stable fir a long time. Do can - able bottles exist? Or do I need to use the usual jars? I don’t think they do, but thought I’d ask …

I have 4 quarts of sauce on the stove simmering. A whole quart less than normal and the tomatoes are getting smaller. Garden looks like a wreck and I don't care anymore.

Simmered down to 5.5 pints. the .5 I'm mixing with beef pasta and cheese for dinner. The rest are in the pressure canner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom