The only problem I’d have with plastic containers is that you can’t boil them at a high enough temperature to kill off any bacteria that may live in the containers. The heat you need to kill some of those bacteria would most likely melt the containers.
You can sterilize plastic baby bottles... there's different types of plastic, some are made to tolerate heat.
In general I've become a bit anti-plastic though. I try to not use it best I can. I forget sometimes and fall to old habits, like grocery bags for example, but I try to limit my use of plastic.

What do you freeze them in? I tried freezing in zip bags, but I found the Jam didn't freeze solid (sugar or pectin content maybe lowered the freezing point) and a bag hot popped open. I've heard of freezer lids for mason jars, but haven't ever tried them.
There's freezer safe jars, I use ones similar to this:
b8425c9a-422b-4894-aaf0-957c98ee72bd_1.861bb48ed06588b58bebd6a724fe6953.jpeg

For bigger batches I save plastic pint size gelato containers which are obviously meant to be frozen.

As far as the jam not wanting to freeze, the freezer jam I make is lower in sugar than most jams/jellies, and I don't buy pectin. Instead I rely on grated green apple to provide the pectin needed to thicken the jam. For example, my strawberry jam has:

2 pints strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 peeled, grated medium Granny Smith or other tart apple
1/2 - 1 Tbsp lemon juice

There's freezer safe jars, I use ones similar to this:
View attachment 2783799

For bigger batches I save plastic pint size gelato containers which are obviously meant to be frozen.

As far as the jam not wanting to freeze, the freezer jam I make is lower in sugar than most jams/jellies, and I don't buy pectin. Instead I rely on grated green apple to provide the pectin needed to thicken the jam. For example, my strawberry jam has:

2 pints strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 peeled, grated medium Granny Smith or other tart apple
1/2 - 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Apples for pectin. That's a game change for me. I did some quick Google research and found a recipe for making liquid apple pectin that can be canned or frozen for future use. https://www.thespruceeats.com/homemade-apple-pectin-1327832

Apples for pectin. That's a game change for me. I did some quick Google research and found a recipe for making liquid apple pectin that can be canned or frozen for future use. https://www.thespruceeats.com/homemade-apple-pectin-1327832
As I simply incorporate the apple as part of the jam (you don't really taste it vs the berries or other fruit), I don't use the peels or cores, though yes I've heard that peels are ideal for adding pectin.

View attachment 2783516View attachment 2783518

I just made pepper jelly/jam for the first time. Supposedly it is a delicious snack or hors d'oeuvre with crackers and cream cheese and can be used as a glaze for meat or vegetables. At the least, I found it to be very tasty. I left the peppers in it and they are finely chopped (used a for processer). More life a jam I guess (I usually call it jam if it has pieces of fruit in it and jelly if it's strained). Also, this recipe is not very spicy even though I used jalapeños hot enough to make my ear burn for a half hour because I itches it after cutting and deseeding the peppers. If you want hotter jam, take out a portion of the sweet peppers and replace with equal amount of jalapeños or use a hotter pepper in place of the jalapeños.

Ingredients:
4 cups banana peppers, seeded and finely chopped (can substitute with any sweet pepper)
1 cup jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped (can substitute any hot pepper)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
5 cups sugar
1.75 oz pectin

Canning supplies
6 half pint jars
Canner (used a waterbath for this recipe)
Canning funnel, tongs and lid magnet wand

Bring the waterbath to a boil. Submerge washed jars in the waterbath to sterilize. Place lids in waterbath to sterilize also.

In a large pot on high heat combine all ingredients and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Once there's a rolling boil remove from heat. Skim off and discard any foam and jelly skin. Ladel into jars using canning funnel (keeps the outside and lid contact surface clean). Leave 1/2 inch head space. Apply lids using magnetic wand and follow up with rings. Process in waterbath for 10 minutes. Let cool and check lids for seal.

Note: If a few seeds make their way into the jam, don't freak out. It just proves its handmade. 😁
I've always wanted to make red pepper jelly.... You've inspired me! ;)

This is the brownie recipe I use. I do 2 things differently. I use 1/2 cup cocoa and I add extra walnuts.
These are like a very moist chocolate cake not the gooey fudge like ones.

I mix it by hand and yes it is thick as road tar so must be spread into the pan. Yes pan size with this matters. In a 9x13 I had to rebake it to get it fully cooked.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10851/cassies-zucchini-brownies/

Last edited:
I blanched and froze 7 quart bags of beans today. Last year, I had purple and one called Dragon Tongue, and froze them separately. This year, I had those two plus some green that I planted to finish a partial row. I just mixed them all together.

Dragon Tongue is hands down my favorite. It's more of a wax bean, I think; the pods are big before the seeds get much size, and they stay tender. I might plant just those next year.

This might be the first year ever that I get zero butternut squash. :( They have always been my no-fail crop.

This is the brownie recipe I use. I do 2 things differently. I use 1/2 cup cocoa and I add extra walnuts.
These are like a very moist chocolate cake not the gooey fudge like ones.

I mix it by hand and yes it is thick as road tar so must be spread into the pan. Yes pan size with this matters. In a 9x13 I had to rebake it to get it fully cooked.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10851/cassies-zucchini-brownies/
I might have to try this over the weekend instead of zucchini bread.

Back
Top Bottom