I have a gallon zip bag of sliced banana peppers brining in the fridge to be pickled and canned.

I brine with salt overnight. Then I rinse thoroughly in cold water. Next, I pack them in sterilized jars with pickling spice (I DIY it every time but try to incorporate mustard seed, celery seed, dill seed, a few peppercorns, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper and 1 bay leaf per jar), fresh sliced onion (sometimes a few whole small onions if I need to fill up the last jar) and fresh garlic cloves. Then I fill the jars to 1/2 inch from the top with my go-to pickling liquid made of 1 part salt, 4 parts apple cider vinegar (5% acidity), 4 parts white vinegar (5% acidity), and 8 parts water -- typically that's 1 cup salt, 4 cups ACV, 4 cups white vinegar, and 8 cups water. I bring the pickling liquid to a boil and ladle it into the jars. Pop a sterilized lid on with a magnet wand, spin on a band to finger tightness, and process in a waterbath for 10-15 minutes (really takes 20-30 to let the water start boiling a bit again after the jars go in before starting to time it).

I tried pressure canning the banana peppers once, I found that they overcooked too easily in the pressure canner.

Anybody have any experience with Pomona Pectin?

https://pomonapectin.com/

Supposedly you can make jams and such with little to no sugar. If I ever get back on the diet train, this would be helpful!!

That said, I did just make some damson preserves/jam sweetened with just stevia and seems like it turned out fine. Still a little tart but I like it that way (damsons have their own pectin).

Dragon Tongue is hands down my favorite. It's more of a wax bean, I think; the pods are big before the seeds get much size, and they stay tender. I might plant just those next year.
That sounds good, regular wax beans go from slightly turning yellow to big and almost too tough in the span of 48 hours. :rolleyes:

Does anybody ferment hot sauce? I need to know the basics. I'm considering the fermentation lids for mason jars or possible getting a fermentation crock. Opinions on which option to go with? And what are the general rules/guidelines to safely fermenting? I'm only going ferment hot sauce. I want to can it in pint or half pint jars after ward. Does it make sense to waterbath or pressure can it or is it best to keep the culture alive and just toss the hot sauce into a jar with a lid? Is it shelf stable when it comes out of the fermenting process?

Does anybody ferment hot sauce? I need to know the basics. I'm considering the fermentation lids for mason jars or possible getting a fermentation crock. Opinions on which option to go with? And what are the general rules/guidelines to safely fermenting? I'm only going ferment hot sauce. I want to can it in pint or half pint jars after ward. Does it make sense to waterbath or pressure can it or is it best to keep the culture alive and just toss the hot sauce into a jar with a lid? Is it shelf stable when it comes out of the fermenting process?
Sorry! I tried sauerkraut last year & it was great, tried beets & not so much 😂

I do, but I don't can it, it goes in the fridge or freezer. It'll stay good in either location pretty much forever. Fermented foods should have a low enough pH but I couldn't find any instructions for canning.

In years past I drilled a hole in a mason jar lid for an airlock, but I just bought some of those silicone lids with a nipple so I'm trying them now. It can bubble over the first few days, keep a plate under it and stir it back down. If you see kahm yeast on top just scoop it out, like any long ferment.

Back
Top Bottom