Pics
Anyone know what this is? It is hanging on the leaf of one of my potatoes. Looks like a tomato. Definitely off of a potato leaf…

1656512850917.jpeg

They might be tomatoes.
My sister had some volunteer tomato plants grow in her garden one year. They didn't have time to work on the garden, so she just let them grow. The tomatoes were OK, not really a great tomato but edible. At the end of the season, she went to rip out the tomato plants and found lots of small potatoes growing on the roots. She then remembered that she had planted potatoes right next to the tomatoes and thinks they may have cross pollinated.

There is a TomTato plant available that is a cherry tomato grafted onto a potato root. Get tomatoes all summer and then harvest potatoes in fall.

They might be tomatoes.
My sister had some volunteer tomato plants grow in her garden one year. They didn't have time to work on the garden, so she just let them grow. The tomatoes were OK, not really a great tomato but edible. At the end of the season, she went to rip out the tomato plants and found lots of small potatoes growing on the roots. She then remembered that she had planted potatoes right next to the tomatoes and thinks they may have cross pollinated.

There is a TomTato plant available that is a cherry tomato grafted onto a potato root. Get tomatoes all summer and then harvest potatoes in fall.
Thank you! These are potatoes in grow bags. The only soil I added was fresh garden soil from lowes. Shouldnt be any tomato seeds in there. The potatoes were seed potatoes from my local farm store. Could that still happen? They did not flower like tomatoes either…

Last edited:
They might be tomatoes.

Tomatoes and potatoes are from the same family. There is a couple youtube videos where people have actually combined the two plants. I didn't realize you could actually buy a plant already grafted! Interesting

I should mention that I didn't personally see the tomato plants with potatoes on the roots. My sis did post a picture of the "free" tomatoes that volunteered in her garden, so I know that part was true. They only ate them once they were red, so they were tomatoes and not potato fruits. I think I believe her story though; her husband and son were the ones to find the potatoes and were laughing about them.

Back
Top Bottom