Pics
I can tomatoes, about 55-60 quarts, in September. (My neighbor does 150 quarts!) We use them for spaghetti sauce, mostly. I tried canning spaghetti sauce, and we didn't think it tasted nearly as good.
Over the past 2 years, we've been bagging and freezing tomatoes in resealable bags & they seem to keep fresh-tasting done like this. I suppose this doesn't limit us to what we use them for.

Here is one from the Ball Book of Canning that I have wanted to try:

STRAWBERRY LEMONADE CONCENTRATE
6 c. hulled strawberries
4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 c. granulated sugar

Prepare canner, jars and lids.
In a blender or food processor with a metal blade, working in batches, puree strawberries until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless-steel saucepan as completed.
Add lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine.
Heat to 190 degrees F (88* C) over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
DO NOT BOIL.
Remove from heat and skim off foam.
Ladle hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) headspace.
Can in boiling water bath for15 minutes

TO USE:

One part concentrate to one part water, tonic water or ginger ale. Adjust ratio to taste.

Here is one from the Ball Book of Canning that I have wanted to try:

STRAWBERRY LEMONADE CONCENTRATE
6 c. hulled strawberries
4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 c. granulated sugar

Prepare canner, jars and lids.
In a blender or food processor with a metal blade, working in batches, puree strawberries until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless-steel saucepan as completed.
Add lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine.
Heat to 190 degrees F (88* C) over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
DO NOT BOIL.
Remove from heat and skim off foam.
Ladle hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) headspace.
Can in boiling water bath for15 minutes

TO USE:

One part concentrate to one part water, tonic water or ginger ale. Adjust ratio to taste.
Wonder if you can reduce the sugar in this?

Over the past 2 years, we've been bagging and freezing tomatoes in resealable bags & they seem to keep fresh-tasting done like this. I suppose this doesn't limit us to what we use them for.
That's what I did past year...washed em and froze em whole.
But I've seen so much bout blanching and botchalism that I didn't know if they would be ok still since I didn't blanch em.
Any thoughts?

But I've seen so much bout blanching and botchalism that I didn't know if they would be ok still since I didn't blanch em.
Any thoughts?
Not heard about blanching and botchalism, but we just froze them raw. We didn't eat them raw after defrosting as they were always cooked in some way; sauces, stews, etc.
They lasted for months, and no illnesses!

Any thoughts?
Botulism happens when you have anaerobic (no air), wet environment and warm enough for the bacteria to reproduce. Freezing eliminates that problem. Canning is where you generally have to takes precautions to avoid botulism.

It can happen with home canning (more likely) or with commercial canned foods (unlikely, but possible). It is a killer. If you are doing your own canning, learn and follow the instructions to avoid it. If the can/jar is bulging and/or if gas escapes when you open it, do not take a chance- toss it.

Last edited:
Shouldnt be a problem to cut it in half. There is more then enough acid in it and you arent making a jelly here.
Thanks for answering the question! :):D👍

That is the answer that I would have given, and what I am going to try. The amount of sugar does seem excessive.

I use the recipe on the next page of the book. I started making this for my Mom, she likes rhubarb and Dad refuses to eat anything rhubarb so she usually goes without. This recipe is also for a "Concentrate" but in reality, Mom drinks this straight out of the Mason Jar. lol. I like it 50/50 with a lemon/lime soda, like a 7-up or a sprite.

Sunshine Rhubarb Juice Concentrate
(from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving)

12 c. sliced rhubarb
4 c. water
Grated Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
Grated Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 1/2 c. sugar

Combine rhubarb, water and both zests in stainless steel pan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently util the rhubarb is soft, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the fresh juices.
Transfer to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth over a deep bowl. Let drip undisturbed for at least 2 hours.
In a clean stainless steel saucepan, combine rhubarb juice and sugar. Heat to 190 degrees. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

Waterbath can for 10 minutes with 1/4" headspace.

Back
Top Bottom