Lhynes1478

Songster
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
I got 5 straight run chicks:

-3 bantam mille fleur d'uccles are a little over 3 weeks old today.

-2 bantam mottled cochins that are 6 weeks old today.

only pictured 2 of my d'uccles out of the 3. one on left in both pics is what 2 look like and one on right seems to have a bigger and thicker comb. Leaning towards cockerel for him... but is there still hope for my two who have barely any comb?

my mottled cochins combs already look so red to me! Well, not the comb itself, but right on top of beak is really red. i don't know if this color is typical for this breed in early stages- i know the matured females combs and wattles get bright red and fairly large too. help! Thanks

IMG_2493.JPG
IMG_2494.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG

Last edited:
OK, I will definitely wait a few more weeks. People say at 3.5wks you can tell by comb on the d'uncles, but it seems like a lot of people get surprised to have pullets when everyone called "cockerel!" Hoping I get at least 1 girl out of the 5. My mottled cochins turned red like that probably almost 2 weeks ago, but the comb itself hasn't really turned red.
Definitely wait on the D'uccles. The Cochins a pullets. It doesn't matter what is red, except the comb and wattles. If they were cockerels, their combs would be red, and they would have tiny red wattles coming in. Huge difference. There wouldn't be any mistaking it!

The Cochins look like pullets. The D'uccles are too young. Wait until six weeks for them. There isn't really anything going either way with them when they are that little.

OK, I will definitely wait a few more weeks. People say at 3.5wks you can tell by comb on the d'uccles, but it seems like a lot of people get surprised to have pullets when everyone called "cockerel!" Hoping I get at least 1 girl out of the 5. My mottled cochins turned red like that probably almost 2 weeks ago, but the comb itself hasn't really turned red.

Last edited:
The mottled cochins seem to have redder combs. Our girl did and I thought she was going to be a boy. If they are 6 weeks with no hint of wattles then I vote girls. My bantam cochin boys had huge combs and wattles by 6 weeks and they were crowing.

I agree. They should be pretty obvious if they are a boy by 6 weeks. So I'm changing my personal vote to girl cochins. Wait on the little ones. I love d'Uccles, BTW. I have one and she's a sweetie!

ETA: I'm making a very wild guess on the little ones! Don't judge! One has a bit bigger comb so maybe girl and boy??:oops:

Last edited:
The mottled cochins seem to have redder combs. Our girl did and I thought she was going to be a boy. If they are 6 weeks with no hint of wattles then I vote girls. My bantam cochin boys had huge combs and wattles by 6 weeks and they were crowing.

I hope I get at least one girl out of this 5 chick st run... but it's looking like odds aren't on my side. lol.

X2 jaeg on the Cochin's. All four of mine got pink combs and I thought I had all boys. 3 ended up being pullets. Otherwise, I think the chicks are too young to tell.

Back
Top Bottom