Raising and Growing Our Organic and Not- So-Organic Foods

Pics
Arielle that a wonderful resource thank you for sharing.

I'm not sure if they would do well here in the south. The heat and humidity along with the black belt clay that seems to kill everything I try to grow is tough.
I have thought about trying to grow crab apples to see if they would grow here.
Do you know of Beekissed attempt to improve her soils? She dumped all the organic material in one area, in the mobile chicken coop as I remember, and oddly at the soil level. It became alive, softening up, more arerated. It got better and better overtime.

Might take a couple years but maybe this sort of set up could help a future tree get established. Or experiment and do planting and this compost pile all together. Just a thought.

Arielle that a wonderful resource thank you for sharinthg.

I'm not sure if they would do well here in the south. The heat and humidity along with the black belt clay that seems to kill everything I try to grow is tough.
I have thought about trying to grow crab apples to see if they would grow here.

Also, I have started to understand that some varieties are hardier than others. Meaning they can pull thru adverse conditions better than others that need babying. There is a company Imentioned earlier that seems to have more of the wild types, and I am starting to appreciate these more and more.

https://oikostreecrops.com/products/organic-fruit-trees-shrubs-plants/apricot-peach-trees/ocpage=1/

this company focuses on the winter hardy varieties for the far north, but it makes me think there must be nurseries in the south that focus on the hardy southern areas that would be adapted to your area. Maybe a local nursery can point you in such a direction.

Do post if you find one. I m always interested in comparing offerings to better understaand why one works better in my area than another.

Also, I have started to understand that some varieties are hardier than others. Meaning they can pull thru adverse conditions better than others that need babying. There is a company Imentioned earlier that seems to have more of the wild types, and I am starting to appreciate these more and more.

https://oikostreecrops.com/products/organic-fruit-trees-shrubs-plants/apricot-peach-trees/ocpage=1/

this company focuses on the winter hardy varieties for the far north, but it makes me think there must be nurseries in the south that focus on the hardy southern areas that would be adapted to your area. Maybe a local nursery can point you in such a direction.

Do post if you find one. I m always interested in comparing offerings to better understaand why one works better in my area than another.

If I do find some for our area I will let you know. There is a Holmestead Farms a couple hours from here and he has everything! I would love to go up there but dh hates to drive that far. It will take a lot of effort to get him to go. lol He has his own you pick farm and he also sells all the plants he grows including the Satsumas I want!
Here is a link to his facebook page if you want to see what he has.

https://www.facebook.com/HolmesteadFarm/

We only have one nursery close to us in Selma that's about 30 minutes from us.
I have bought a few plants from them. I tried getting them to order an kumquat and a satsuma tree for me. But they did not have any luck. Right now the dept. of ag is fighting a greening problem in the satsuma's so they are hard to find I guess.
I am nearly out of room in the area we opened up for the orchard. Since I added the grape vines and the trellis. We have to cut down the dead apple trees but I can't plant anything there. And with the pomegranate and elderberries needing more room to grow I don't want to crowd them. We may have to open up more of the pasture for more trees later. But with Dh's back surgery pending that may be a while.
I can't plant any in the front due to the huge oaks and the fact we have oak root rot on our place makes it harder. And the back I am using for gardening.

Last edited:
I need to catch up and reply to everything, sorry haha been busy/also lazy lol graduated yesterday.

But I have got to improve my diet. Been having lots of bowel/digestive issues. Don't want to get tmi and gross but let's just say it's not good ha

This is a common bush/tree in my area. Common in Maine where I grew up too, as I used to snack on these while out and about as a teen.

This source refers to it as chokecherry tree, and is a Prunus. Other chokecherries by that name are aronias, or similar bunches of berries, and NOT the prunus "tree"

https://gardenerdy.com/how-to-identify-chokecherry-tree-easily

No pics were included in this artile unfortunately, as the images I googled bring up incorrect examples.

If I do find some for our area I will let you know. There is a Holmestead Farms a couple hours from here and he has everything! I would love to go up there but dh hates to drive that far. It will take a lot of effort to get him to go. lol He has his own you pick farm and he also sells all the plants he grows including the Satsumas I want!
Here is a link to his facebook page if you want to see what he has.

https://www.facebook.com/HolmesteadFarm/

We only have one nursery close to us in Selma that's about 30 minutes from us.
I have bought a few plants from them. I tried getting them to order an kumquat and a satsuma tree for me. But they did not have any luck. Right now the dept. of ag is fighting a greening problem in the satsuma's so they are hard to find I guess.
I am nearly out of room in the area we opened up for the orchard. Since I added the grape vines and the trellis. We have to cut down the dead apple trees but I can't plant anything there. And with the pomegranate and elderberries needing more room to grow I don't want to crowd them. We may have to open up more of the pasture for more trees later. But with Dh's back surgery pending that may be a while.
I can't plant any in the front due to the huge oaks and the fact we have oak root rot on our place makes it harder. And the back I am using for gardening.
Im looking for species that I can co-mingle and interplant, or underplant. With some effort Im finding a number of options that can handle light shade, and for this are, a number that like acid soils.

I need to catch up and reply to everything, sorry haha been busy/also lazy lol graduated yesterday.

But I have got to improve my diet. Been having lots of bowel/digestive issues. Don't want to get tmi and gross but let's just say it's not good ha
take your time,,, the posts are not going anywhere.

Congrats on your graduation!!!

This is a common bush/tree in my area. Common in Maine where I grew up too, as I used to snack on these while out and about as a teen.

This source refers to it as chokecherry tree, and is a Prunus. Other chokecherries by that name are aronias, or similar bunches of berries, and NOT the prunus "tree"

https://gardenerdy.com/how-to-identify-chokecherry-tree-easily

No pics were included in this artile unfortunately, as the images I googled bring up incorrect examples.

I hope you can find some.

I hope you can find some.

These chokecherries grow all over, so I need to clearly identify them. The are like a tiny cherry, with a good size pit. lol

I tried to find the hazelnuts in the woods this spring, but didnt find any in the area I searched. I do know they are here. Just cant remember where I have seen them. The planting guide suggests a 50 foot MAXimum spacing for pollination. But I am thinking the wild ones here are further than that, and often the flowers go unpollinated as they are few and far between.

Bought 1 hazelnut to get the ball rolling. Stark says this one take 5-8 years to start flowering. WIll give me time to add in others to make a row.

Back
Top Bottom