1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Attacked by dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Larkspur88, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    My roo was attacked yesterday by dogs. I plan to take him to work to my vet today. (I work for a vet) But he isn't up to date on poultry care. We only treat cats and dogs.

I guess what I am asking if anyone has advice to antibiotics we should try him on orally. I may even have one of those here at home. He's in pretty rough shape. I haven't seen him eat or drink on his own. I did put his beak in water and he drank some this morning. I was going to take him to be seen right after it happened yesterday, but after screaming and yelling and bawling my eyes out at my dogs who suddenly stopped obeying me to kill him I had a migraine that went on for over 10 hours. [​IMG]

Here's the miserable boy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His face is swollen around his eyes and he has bite wounds on his back and butt. He also had one of his wings (hopefully it was mainly the feathers) crushes at the tip by one of my dogs. One dog tried to strangle him so I don't even know how he is still standing...

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Even though your vet is not a poultry expert he/she can go online (VIN) and chat with several poultry experts. Expect to photograph the injuries or send a short video clip for online viewing. You'd be surprised what your vet can do with this free service. Good luck with your little guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by