You mentioned he began this crisis after the winter storm savaged your state. Hypothermia can mimic more serious disorders - weakness, lethargy, even balance issues and paralysis. Unfortunately, people overlook this as a possible cause of their chicken's sudden serious illness. It's treated as you would treat shock, in addition to warming the body.

If this was a factor in this fellow's health crisis, your ministrations somehow stabilized him, and he may be on the mend. You can continure to give him electrolytes and keep him warm, offering carbs and proteins to further aid his metabolic functions. And by the way, his poop appears to be splendid. I see no issues there.
Thank you so much for the tip, it didn't even cross my mind that that could be an issue..! I'm not accustomed to cold weather at all really, so the snow and all the illnesses/rigid cold effects it brings are absolutely new to me- especially in chickens. I'm still learning everyday, so I'll definitely keep note and continue to stabilize him the best I can. Do you have any advice on the foods you use for your flock? My roo has been perking up everytime he sees a boiled egg in sight and I'm trying to explore my options in hopes to keep improving him and his health.

Oh, I hope it was hypothermia and that he's on the mend! I'm glad to hear it sounds like he's improving! May he and his tribe increase!
Absolutely! I'll keep updating just in case since he's still not exactly up and running, but I hope it was just a bad case of hypothermia... Thinking about it now, it's definitely possible and could've just made his immune system weak enough to be compromised by more things than once. He's certainly a strange case, but having some reassurance and some sense of direction definitely helps!

Boiled rice with yogurt, buttermilk or keifer is a good high carb food with protein and probiotics as well. Boiled egg or even raw egg is a good high protein food with good fats. Canned mackerel is another one.

These are not meant as regular foods, only as temporary therapy.

Boiled rice with yogurt, buttermilk or keifer is a good high carb food with protein and probiotics as well. Boiled egg or even raw egg is a good high protein food with good fats. Canned mackerel is another one.

These are not meant as regular foods, only as temporary therapy.
I'll definitely try these right now, thank you so much!

Canned sardines, packed in oil if you have it for the extra calories. This offers a high protein boost too. My flock loves canned fish.
I don't have any at the moment, but I'll definitely add it to my shopping list, thank you for the advice! I've heard canned tuna is quite good as well, do you happen to know if I could feed that just for now?

Back
Top Bottom