Runner sitting eggs

RunGuy77

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
Staffordshire uk
Hi all,

I am looking for a little advice from any runner duck keepers.
Despite their reputation as being hopeless for sitting, my trout runner (Michonne) has bucked the trend, sitting 12 eggs for just over a week now.
Some may say that I should have taken her eggs away, but I kinda like to let nature take its course and let ducks be ducks.
We are so excited to see how Glen (dad & white) and Michonne take to parenting there first ducklings, however we can't keep them for too long. Perhaps a few months max.
This leaves me with two questions

How long should I wait before moving the ducklings on from mom
When selling on, the norm is to sell in pairs, should I try and mix the blood line between m/f

Thanks

Last edited:
I would suggest selling them in a few weeks to a month so they can have some time with their mom. I would suggest trying to mix the blood line with the pairs. We had some issues with inbreeding with our Mallard ducks a few years ago and ran into some problems. One duck had weak legs and had to scoot around the yard with his beak (it caused him no pain so we didn't put him down) and a few of our ducklings died.

Last edited:
Thanks pineapple416
You have confirmed my thoughts on this.
Even though we can't keep them, I still want to produce good quality birds. Keeping my fingers crossed she is doing a good job with her eggs. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom