Sad for my remaining girl.

hilyn

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2022
I took over six aged hybrid chickens from a friend who was moving away. They were three years old when I had them and laid eggs for a while before settling on my getting about two each day. I lost three over the course of last year and have just lost two more in quick succession yesterday and this morning. I’ m devastated, plus I only have one girl left in the run now. Do chickens get lonely? Would you suggest that I bring in four new girls soon to keep her company and what age would you suggest as she is now getting on a bit?

Chickens do get lonely. I'd provide her a mirror for company. It is very likely that she will be next to given her age and DNA. Sounds like a perfect time to get some chicks.

She will get lonely. I’d get pullets if you could-chicks might take to long to be able to be moved out there and give her some company. Some times TSC will have local people come out on Saturday and sell pullets. At least they do that at mine

She will get lonely. I’d get pullets if you could-chicks might take to long to be able to be moved out there and give her some company. Some times TSC will have local people come out on Saturday and sell pullets. At least they do that at mine
Good news. I have contacted our local re homing centre and my grandson and I are collecting four new girls to keep her company tomorrow morning. I've been up at her run most of the morning and I've put up a little mirror for her. Thank you for all your lovely responses. There are lots of us chicken lovers out there if you know where to look!

Good news. I have contacted our local re homing centre and my grandson and I are collecting four new girls to keep her company tomorrow morning. I've been up at her run most of the morning and I've put up a little mirror for her. Thank you for all your lovely responses. There are lots of us chicken lovers out there if you know where to look!
Make sure you quarantine the new burns as far away from your hen as possible for at least a month. to make sure they are healthy. Then introduce through the see but not touch method.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom