laurenjoers

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2019
Hey all. I have four baby chicks, all about 2-3 weeks old. Starting about a week ago, I’ve been having frequent diarrhea, cramping, and fatigue whilst handling my chicks often. We are thinking it is salmonella since I’ve never gotten sick like this before and it would be quite a coincidence. We contacted our doctor and he said to wait it out a few days before I go in for testing. I’ve been pretty good about washing my hands after handling them, but they do like to climb on my clothes, legs, phone, etc. and they poop A LOT. But a lot of what I’m reading on here says that pet chickens passing on salmonella is somewhat rare? They are only babies and I’ve only been with them a few weeks as well. Anybody have any experience with this? Also, do I need to worry about the chicks being sick? I have been washing my hands before I hold them as well in case I have something different that they can get. They have been sneezing on and off for a while, but after reading some things here I stopped worrying about it for a while (please tell me if I need to worry!). We also lost our littlest one - she was growing so much slower than the others, wouldn’t drink on her own, and was struggling to breathe (was making clicking sounds). :( Everyone else seems happy, healthy, and lively to say the least! Please give any insight on this, thank you!

Too long; didn’t read: Can two-three week old baby chicks give me salmonella? And if it is salmonella, will it affect them in any way I should be worried about or treating?

Last edited:
Salmonella is like E.coli, present in small numbers in the lower intestines of animals and humans. Ingesting the bacteria is the only way to become sick. This is why it can be spread by not washing your hands after handling animals or going to the bathroom and then eating. People with weak immune systems such as elderly and toddlers are especially vulnerable.

It's possible your chicks have the salmonella in their intestines, but are not going to become sick from it unless the bacteria multiplies in their poop and they happen to ingest some of it in their pecking at the brooder floor.

While we can't rule out your symptoms being caused by salmonella, it is unlikely you have become sick because of the chicks. Usually, though, salmonella poisoning will make you much sicker than just a little diarrhea.

You also could have campylobacter infection, a bacteria found in chickens. Salmonella has been disappearing, but there have been some reports this year, and in past years of baby chicks from certain hatcheries who have been infected. Campylobacter is found in poop in some chickens and in undercooked chicken which can cause in poeple, diarrhea, string abdominal cramps, and bloody diarrhea. It does not usually cause illness in chickens with campylobacter in their poop. I think I had that with cleaning feeders and waterers with bare hands when I had baby chicks inside my house, even though I washed hands 50 times a day. It is self-limited disease usually, and symptoms go away after 7-10 days. You would probably need a fecal culture to identify which of those 2 organisms are possible. Fortunately, both will go away on their own without antibiotics, but in someone extremely sick or dehydrated, I would seek medical help. Your vet could also test some droppings for salmonella if you ask. here is a link to read about campylobacter:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/avian-campylobacter-infection/avian-campylobacter-infection

Back
Top Bottom